We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

8 another Vista?

rdave13
Resolved

Likes # 0

New Must-Know Facts here.

Dolby available- hmm OK.

No DVD playback in WMP... why?

Windows Media Center goes to pay for use... no cash for them there then.

Family Safety goes back to Vista style.

Explorer only available to desktops.

I'm sure I'm missing something but if you pay a lot of hard cash for a new OS you expect it to be an all singing and all dancing type which gives the buyer at least the basics of running a PC whether desktop or tablet.

Do Microsoft understand their customers I wonder?

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

Everything in this thread has convinced me that I was right. I might LOOK at Windows 9 - but I certainly won't touch Windows 8

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Not looking good I think, most searches for desktop evaluation turns out like this.. Pre-orders for Amazon's Win 8 upgrade discs will be much lower than for 7 I think.

Like this post
jackladd

Likes # 0

hi , currently using the full release version (rtm) and microsoft has locked in the Metro user interface, though there is a great little program called classic shell (free) that gives you back the start button and conventional interface ,it also allows booting right to the desktop ,bypassing Metro altogether along with the ability to shut off the "hot corners" in the metro ui. testing I have done so far runnig the windows 8 pro along side a windows 7 pro (no updates) show little or no performance gains other than slightly faster start times. Metro is still running in the backround though ,and i see no reason to pay to upgrade from windows 7 on a laptop . I guess a small touchscreen mobile pc is what this interface is best at ,I find it counterproductive for a desktop . in my oppinion ,the hackers found so many ways to illegally hack the windows 7 activation processes ,that microsoft has been determined this will not happen again ,and completely changed all activation methods adding lextra layers and protocols to circumvent the smae thing happening. as a result they came up with windows 8 , with the core of windows 7 heavily intergrated with the newr Metro interface . apart from the Metro IU ,I see this new release as no better than a windows 7 with a different look and tighter security . to the point of being invasive . I already have it , hackers have already worked out at least 2 ways to activate , so where now for microsoft ??? Windows 7 is a good OS ,apart from the teenage population who are into this kind of interface and app hungry systems ,I dont see it taking off as windows 7 did .and at the end of the day ,windows 8 does nothing of any note that windows 7 cannot do (excluding Metro and Apps)and from the forums where Windows 8 has been tested to death already ,it appears that most users dont want Metro and what goes with it .

Like this post
tigertop2

Likes # 0

No doubt come the launch day we will have a mass of PR about Windows8 and how much better it is. I am afraid a lot of folks who do not view forums like this will get a nasty surprise when they find out it is not really any sort of decent advance over Windows 7. In fact even Vista doesn't look that awful now!

Sorry Microsoft, I like a lot of what you do and have done over many years but Windows 8 is not the offspring of Windows7 that it should be. Now let's move on quickly to developement of Windows9 and some really sensible additions, maybe automatic driver updates and better software security

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Some speculation on Windows 9 here.

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

jackladd Is this a legal copy ( as the general release is Oct ) or a pirated and hacked version which the net is alive with just now.Classic Shell is already documented in the forum pages

Like this post
jackladd

Likes # 0

its an msdn (of wich I am a Paying member) copy ,(not that its anyones business but mine and that of microsoft) classic shell does the job and there was a new release yesterday to support windows 8 ,previous versions did not, although ,they worked after a fashion . and while we are on the subject of legality ,its not illegal to download the full rtm version and install and use it from a leaked source or from microsoft as a trial ,that goes for anyone ,it only becomes illegal if its activated illegally. I did the same with Win 7 and I allways will I dont intend to buy blindly ,I allways trial My OSs and if nessesary will use a leaked copy (not a hacked one) to achieve what I want ,if I like it I can purchase a key as I did with win 7 ,and activate the leaked copy . "perfectly legal"

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I allways trial My OSs and if nessesary will use a leaked copy (not a hacked one) to achieve what I want ,if I like it I can purchase a key as I did with win 7 ,and activate the leaked copy . "perfectly legal"

Actually it's not. A leaked copy of software is just that - a copy that the software manufacturer did not intend you to have at the point of download. It may be a fine definition, but our job is to give accurate advice, and saying leaked copies of software are 'perfectly legal' for use is incorrect.

In any case, there's no need to use leaked software when legal trial copies are readily available.

Like this post
jackladd

Likes # 0

with respect "forum edotor" I had downloaded and used an early rtm leaked copy of windows 7,in trial mode a month before it was officially released ,I decided to buy windows 7 ,and called microsoft UK and asked about a key ,I was told that it was "no problem" and directed to a website where I could purchase a full licience key ,I also opted for a hard copy to be sent out to me , I asked could I use the downloaded RTM I was curently using and was told "yes" as long as it was the genuine microsoft software and had not been previousely activated or tampered with . I installed the retail key and I am still using it . I was given a download link and recieved the hard copy a few weeks later,but make no mistake, I told them the downloaded windows 7 I was using was not directly from microsoft . and they (or at least the assistant I spoke to) had no problem with that ,I recieved the usual warnings about viruses etc ,and the importance of using only genuine microsoft softwares . I allways check any ISO I download including hashes etc . if it was not the genuine article I would not have used it . I realize that the microsoft EULA,s can often be vague and "down to interpretation" but I think even Microsoft staff themselves give different versions depending on the individual . As far as i was concerned I had done the right thing by involving microsoft ,and from the reply I got ,I do not see any problem either . the "leaked" copy i used was identicla in every way to a full version I installed for a friend some months later ,and apart from me admitting where I got it I could just as easily say it was indeed from microsoft .

Like this post
mick2008

Likes # 0

Well after reading all opinions on here it seems to me Windows 8 is a bit of a letdown. I have been using w7 for a long time now and I have not had any serious problems at all. You would have thought a company such as Microsoft would have seen the problems before they released W8. But I suppose even the best do make mistakes. I can see Microsoft getting a lot of hassle from people who buy a laptop with W8 already installed.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia