We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

8 another Vista?

rdave13
Resolved

Likes # 0

New Must-Know Facts here.

Dolby available- hmm OK.

No DVD playback in WMP... why?

Windows Media Center goes to pay for use... no cash for them there then.

Family Safety goes back to Vista style.

Explorer only available to desktops.

I'm sure I'm missing something but if you pay a lot of hard cash for a new OS you expect it to be an all singing and all dancing type which gives the buyer at least the basics of running a PC whether desktop or tablet.

Do Microsoft understand their customers I wonder?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

As it's still an RC that might alter in the full version? It certainly doesn't sound too good if it's not compatible with your new touchscreen. I would be using it the old fashioned desktop way, though, if it allows.

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

Is seems to be that the old adage about MS products is true yet again - a good prodc ut is always followed by a bad one and vice versa. i.e XP good, Vista crap, Win7 good, Win ..... I really don't think I'll bother.

NB I see that the upgrade is going cost $39 in US - no doubt £39 in UK

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Reading this, especially the replies, I'm leaning towards the Win 8 upgrade (if cheap enough)and getting another SSD to clone to before upgrading. This Overclock.net site has some good guides for SSD.

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

whilst agreeing with the coments about touchscreen it seem the price for anyone buying a new system with win 7 just now (ALDI has one this week ) the offer price to upgrade to Win 8 Pro is £14.99

However applications are already apearing such as this one

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

Fee just now but expires before win 8 date so its still wait and see

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Not sure if it's worth pursuing the start menu on 8 as it appears that Windows 7 will be the last OS with it.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I've tried the preview version on a touchscreen laptop.

No great shakes.

Get your Win 7 settings right and it'll do the job.

I rarely use the touchpad when browsing this site with Win 7 for instance.

Like this post
Gandalph

Likes # 0

I've tried Windows 8 preview out and if the full blown program is not much better, then I'm afraid my wallet will be staying in my pocket. I'll stick with XP.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

not tried windows 8, but all i read about it is doom and gloom. hate that metro block screen, read today MS has removed the option to boot into w7 desktop style what on earth did they do that for?, ok for touch screens but not for laptops and desktops.

if they charge for media player then it looks like i will have to use VLC player as in windows starter edition would have preferred WMP but not paying extra.

what are the advantages of w8 over w7 for non touch screen users i cannot see any reading reviews.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"what are the advantages of w8 over w7 for non touch screen users i cannot see any reading reviews."

Can't help you there, as I've never tried it with a non-touch screen, but I've used it on my touch screen Acer and as yet I've found no advantages at all!

I'm persevering but normally have to boot back into 7 before 30 minutes are up!

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

I have tryed it countless time and so far have not come across any advantages to swap from Win 7 to Win 8.

I dont try it for look only to check for any updates. However have found that its not easy to install anything without a driver signed off by microsoft, So most older programs may be a disadvantage

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Get bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this Black...

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Advanced tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert - 5 new tips added