We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

8 another Vista?

rdave13
Resolved

Likes # 0

New Must-Know Facts here.

Dolby available- hmm OK.

No DVD playback in WMP... why?

Windows Media Center goes to pay for use... no cash for them there then.

Family Safety goes back to Vista style.

Explorer only available to desktops.

I'm sure I'm missing something but if you pay a lot of hard cash for a new OS you expect it to be an all singing and all dancing type which gives the buyer at least the basics of running a PC whether desktop or tablet.

Do Microsoft understand their customers I wonder?

Like this post
Hensroost

Likes # 0

An appalling operating system with virtually no thought given to the millions of desktop PC users. A step backwards. When support for Windows 7 ends I'll be buying a Mac.

Like this post
acfc

Likes # 0

Likewise I will stick with win 7 as long as I can and then assuming win9 is not out it wil be a mac for me - and I have stuck with windows since win 3

I don't understand what MS are thinking off but win 8 is not for me!

Like this post
pk46

Likes # 0

Windows 8 is one that Microsoft will want to forget,is this OS a joke.????

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

As it's not complete yet I think we'll have to wait. If it's not directed at businesses but purely for the tablet/phone market then it makes sense. Bushinesses will stick to 7 on main desktops but 8 on tablets?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Bushiness? I meant businesses of course.

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

Windows 8 is an absolute gift to Apple. They must be planning their increased production runs right now.

If you don't want to cough up for a Mac, use Linux as I do.

The point is, it doesn't matter how good the underlying system is, if it's not visually appealing, it's dead on arrival. And in my view, there's absolutely nothing appealing about Windows 8. Appalling is more accurate.

Dig deeper (as some of you have) and you discover the quite severe restrictions that Microsoft is imposing. They can crow all they like about security, but I as far as I can see, it's a rather clumsy way of trying to reimplement their monopoly. It'll be interesting to see if or how the European Union react to the restrictions they've built in.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Quote "*The point is, it doesn't matter how good the underlying system is, if it's not visually appealing, it's dead on arrival. And in my view, there's absolutely nothing appealing about Windows 8. Appalling is more accurate. *"

Couldn't agree more and I level the same criticism at W7 to a large extent too.

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

even before Win 8 Hits the shops it seems rumors have been published on Win 9 slated for 2014

http://www.windows9update.com/

Someone somewhere clearly has information that Win 8 will be another Vista and plans are underway to correct it

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Oh no. Microsoft are offering a good deal? See here. Possibly the Pro Version from an upgrade for around £40 (?) with Media Centre thrown in for free. I would be tempted - definitely. Could always revert to 7 through an image if not to my liking. If much more expensive in the UK then I wouldn't bother.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

According to my latest attempt to download, my touchscreen, less than a month old, is not compatible.

If 2012 models are not compatible there is not much point in considering an O/S upgrade for anything older.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 10 most ridiculously opulent, mega expensive and utterly stupid gadgets you can't afford

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

5 things Android Wear *can't* do: Smartwatch OS is great but not flawless

IDG UK Sites

Free QuarkXPress update offers redlining, notes and image enhancement