We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Following links in Windows 7

Maczed

Likes # 0

I am having trouble following links on web pages. sometimes I get to the page I need, but most of the time it doesn't work. I then have to copy and paste the shortcut address into the address bar at the top of the page. Have I got something set up wrong? Any ideas?

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

You don't say which browser you are using

If you are using internet explorer - try this fix-it link.

If it is other browsers have a look to see if any add-ons are causing the problem.

Like this post
Maczed

Likes # 0

Thanks for your response, difarn. I'm using IE9. I tried your link and had to access it by copy & paste. I ran the Reset Internet Explorer Setting Fix-it and restarted my PC. Your 'fix-it' link now responds when I click on it but I only get an empty new tab. Can you think of anything else I should do?

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

There are a lot of articles about the same problem and different sorts of fixes.

Try opening IE without any add-ons

Click on Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Internet Explorer (no Add-ons).

If this works then you will have to disable and re-enable each add on until you find the culprit.

If this still doesn't work try rolling back to IE8 by going to control panel - add/remove programmes, removing IE9 - this will automatically roll back to IE8.

Have you tried another browser? Can I suggest Firefox.

Like this post
Maczed

Likes # 0

Hi difan, thanks for the suggestions, but none of them seem to work. I'm not running any add-ons; I can't load IE8 as I'm running Windows 7 (64-bit) and that's not one of the recommended versions for IE8; I've tried to download Firefox, but for some reason the 'Run or Save' pop-up doesn't appear, so it won't download it. You mention lots of articles about the same problem, would you point me to any of them, please.

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

I also run Win 7 64bit this on installing was with IE8 as the default browser

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

You can run IE8 - you would have been running this before IE9. I too still have it with Win 7 64-bit. It maybe that your profile has somehow become corrupted. Most people are still using IE8 at present because of problems with IE9. It is strange that you cannot download Firefox - I don't suppose it appears in your downloads folder?

The first thing to try is to roll back to IE8.

As for links - if you type in "unable to open links in IE9" you will get many articles.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

I should have said that when you download Firefox it is the 32-bit version you need - there is a 64-bit version just available that is still in "testing" format.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

The 64-bit version of Firefox is in fact called Waterfox so don't worry about this.

Like this post
Maczed

Likes # 0

Many thanks for your help, difan. Now got IE8 (after a bit of trouble working out how to delete IE9, rather than turn it off), and have downloaded Firefox. Links still not quite right in IE8, but work a treat in Firefox. It's much faster that IE, pity I wasn't introduced to it earlier. I think I'll stay with it! Once again, thanks for your patience.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

It may well be the IE profile folder is corrupt. I always use Firefox and have - there is a good range of add-ons too.

Now that you have another browser to use I am attaching an article explaining how to reinstall/repair IE - you can do it manually or via the Fix-it link.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad