We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

dell 15r inspire has black screen and wont do f8

nonowtatall

Likes # 0

i have a dell 15r inspire laptop with windows 7 and when i came to open it there is only a blck screen and a flashing curser line in the left hand top i have tried lots of times to start it and click F8 and nothing happens when i do F2 that opens but not the safe start mode before that happend there was a message saying that my macafee needed upgrading so i clicked yes then it went blank and a black screen is there some way of getting it to boot i am passed myself as i have just bought it a few weeks ago

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Try:-

press control alt delete and select task manager. under Applications select "new task" type in explorer and press enter - do you have your screen back?

If this doesn't work try:-

Unplugging any usb devices while computer is on with blank cursor. Then hard power off by pressing the off button and keeping it depressed until it switches off. Leave off for a minute or so. Leave usb cables unplugged, and power computer back on.

When you are trying F8 are you tapping it about 3 times a second as it is booting?

Like this post
nonowtatall

Likes # 0

hi difarn i have tryed all you said and nothing happens on both things still the black screen and the cursor flashing up in the top left hand corner is there any thing else i can do

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

There are numerous threads about this happening after a Macafee upgrade. As your PC is new and under warranty can I suggest that you ring Dell first of all and they may suggest that you get in touch with McAfee.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

6 cheapest 4K TVs in the UK 2014: Get a UHD telly without breaking the bank

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks

IDG UK Sites

How to stop your parents opening and responding to phishing emails

IDG UK Sites

Google to ship first Project Ara developer boards in July