We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Acer 8920 screen gone dark

dianeandchipps
Resolved

Likes # 0

I am having a problem with the monitor on my acer 8920 laptop, the screen has gone very dark. This happened a few months ago and I didn't have money to get someone to look at it so I switched to an old computer of my daughters. I decided today to try it again and it seemed to be working ok but after an hour or so the screen went very dark again. I searched online to any ideas and I found one: Switch off and remove battery. Hold power button down for about 60 seconds. I think this was to remove extra power for the laptop. It did make any difference though so I though I would try this forum. I hope someone has a very cheap answer to fix my problem. Many thanks for reading. Diane

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 1

It could be an inverter or a backlight problem and this is obviously going to cost money to repair. I assume that you have had a look at brightness etc settings. Does it still go dark while using it on mains power?

Do you have a spare monitor that you could attach to the laptop. If so you could use this as your primary monitor?

Like this post  
dianeandchipps

Likes # 0

Thanks for your advice. I remembered about a spare monitor after I posted my question and that is working great. I increased the brightness to 100% and have removed the battery completely so it is now just running on mains power. Can still only see the laptop screen if I shine a lamp on it although it is like looking through black glass!!! Do you know what sort of price I would be looking at to fix/replace the inverter (whatever that is, lol) or the backlight? Many thanks again Diane

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

An inverter is a small board that supplies power to the backlight.

I'm really not sure about the costs involved -if you take it to somewhere like PC World there is usually a minimum cost of about £50 plus parts. If you have a local PC repair shop you could make enquiries.

It isn't necessary to remove the battery - in fact if you are going to get it repaired with the aim of using it again you should be periodically charging it up and using it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Stop running out of cellular data on your iPhone, see which apps use the most data