We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 Ultimate US Version

Micro-Man

Likes # 0

I've just bought the full retail version of Windows 7 Ultimate from a seller on eBay & find that it is the US Version (X25-29510). Ignoring the EU restrictions on IE and WMP (not found in the UK version, does anyone know if this will install ok in this country?)

Secondly, does anyone know a web site where I can find details of the Microsoft product X codes (as per the X25-29510 above) for Windows XP through to Windows 7?

Thanks

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

Lotvic I belive this is a link https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/howtotell/cfr/report.aspx for roporting.

I do not know if it will be any good to Micro-Man as for him to have any chance of getting his money back the OS would heve to be returned unopened.

It also does not make clear as to What/if software would be offered.

I do feel that its always been a problem, encouraged by people buying cheap software on line which in the end costs more than going to authorised outlets

Like this post
Micro-Man

Likes # 0

I have contacted Microsoft (phone, email & web form) & sent the dodgy software to them this morning. If you look at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/howtotell/cfr/FAQ.aspx, Microsoft will send you a "complimentary kit" by way of compensation though what they send depends on the product sent.

I would recommend anyone suspicious of their software to look at the links I posted previously ( http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1574858 and http://i53.tinypic.com/2zgt3q9.jpg )so they know if they've been ripped off too!

I'll update you all on my progress once I've had my reply from Microsoft.

Incidently, the software I bought was the original release Windows 7 & not SP1 hence I wouldn't have expected to pay full price for it.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Looking good, hope MS accept your submission and you get a complimentary copy (fingers crossed for you)

Like this post
Micro-Man

Likes # 0

Just a quick update but Microsoft have informed me that the "Complimentary kit shipped to customer".

I'll update this post once I've received the software.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Hey, that sounds great, let us know if it arrives okay and what you get :))

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I hope this is not spam? Did not open links in case.

Like this post
Micro-Man

Likes # 0

Sorry John Bunyan but you hope what is not spam? I've had notifications that both Lotvic & Addy000 have posted replies these last couple of days but I've not found any new postings here from either person when I've checked so is it something they'd posted?

Like this post
Micro-Man

Likes # 0

The good news is that I’ve finally received my ”free” replacement Windows 7 Ultimate from Microsoft yesterday. I say ”free” because firstly I paid for what purported to be genuine software plus I had to pay several more quid to send it “Tracked” to Dublin, where Microsoft have their nearest anti-piracy office.

Here is a summary of what I did. Firstly, I submitted the online Counterfeit Software Report on Monday 30th April. I then sent the software, together with a cover note, a print out of the original auction page and a copy of my receipt, on Tuesday 1st May and it arrived in Dublin on Friday 4th. The replacement software was approved on Sunday 6th and duly sent to me on Tuesday 8th May. Sadly, Microsoft used one of those delightful mail delivery companies to send the package (anyone living in the countryside will know the ones; they hang on to bills & bank statements for at least a week before finally passing the post on to Royal Mail to get delivered!) which is why it took until the 26th for me to receive it!

I have to admit that I’ve not tried it yet as I’m still in the process of building my new PC but, apart from it being covered in reminders that it is a replacement for a counterfeit product (Microsoft use the expression “Get Genuine Online Kit”, though what that is supposed to mean is anyone’s guess!) it looks like the full version

Finally, to correct a typo in my original posting, the US Version I received was X15-29510 and not X25-29510 like I said. The replacement has X16-73756 on the COA and whilst some retailers show that as an upgrade part number, there is no mention of upgrade on the box or DVDs (it has both the 32 & 64 bit disks) and appears to be the full retail copy of Windows 7 Ultimate. It also has Service Pack 1 (which my original purchase did not; incidently, this is the reason I used to justify the price that I paid for the original software to Microsoft) so all I need to do now is build my new pc!

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Thanks for letting us know, seems a good result to me, instead of nothing and out of pocket by £'s you ended up with genuine W7 :)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'