We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 Ultimate US Version

Micro-Man

Likes # 0

I've just bought the full retail version of Windows 7 Ultimate from a seller on eBay & find that it is the US Version (X25-29510). Ignoring the EU restrictions on IE and WMP (not found in the UK version, does anyone know if this will install ok in this country?)

Secondly, does anyone know a web site where I can find details of the Microsoft product X codes (as per the X25-29510 above) for Windows XP through to Windows 7?

Thanks

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

English (USA) is okay. Some X product codes on Heidoc page of links to official Microsoft Digitalriver downloads for W7 Versions.

Only place I saw X25-29510 was on ClickHere could it be an upgrade version or volume I wonder?

xp product IDs ClickHere

Like this post
Micro-Man

Likes # 0

Thanks for this. The product does appear to be a genuine full retail copy of Windows 7 (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120901941073) but as it is still sealed in it's box, I didn't want to try installing it until I know it would will work.

Incidently, the X25-29510 is on the Certificate of Authenticity (COA) label on the outside of the box (http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/howtotell/Software.aspx#Packaging)

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

As far as I know you won't have a problem with USA v UK (is there a UK version? I thought that idea had been abandoned when they decided to use the 'browser choice' method).

Regarding if it's genuine - I have no way of knowing. If you have any doubts you could phone Microsoft and check both.

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

Further to Lotvics post I can understand his reservations as to if its genuine. Opening the box to confirm the number with microsoft, will prevent its return.

The price you linked to is approx 25% of a genuine copy.and a couple of posts seem to show others have purchased the same. Whilst it may validate the question is will at some time in the future you get a black screen and a message from microsoft advising its not genuine.

This could then leave you with the option to pay the full price to microsoft.

The digital river does allow legal versions to be downloaded. These can be tryed, and then obtain a licence from Microsoft. Not only of all versions of Win 7 But other software as well.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Don't know if this helps or not - my Retail Copy of W7 HomePremium - X15 number on label seal is different to the X15 number on actual DVD's and the numbers on each dvd differ by one digit for the 32bit and 64bit dvd's. (bought from Amazon at the reduced pre-order introductory price) Product key is on a sticker inside the packaging. In addition my X15 numbers are not on the DigitalRiver download links in my previous post.

Like this post
Micro-Man

Likes # 0

Like I said, it does look genuine. I may email/phone Microsoft to see what they have to say all the same. I have however just found this online http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/bg-BG/w7itprogeneral/thread/7442cec0-d99a-45eb-bc36-a50239309ba3 so will have to look more closely at my box first.

I agree that £90 is cheap but thats why people go to ebay; for a bargain!

Thanks for your comments so far

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Micro-Man

I hope you are right, but you know the old phrase : "If something looks too good to be true, it probably is". Hope all goes well!

Like this post
Micro-Man

Likes # 0

Sadly it looks like it is a counterfeit version! A high quality counterfeit but a fake non the less!

For anyone interested see a similar version is described at http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1574858. The photo at http://i53.tinypic.com/2zgt3q9.jpg seems to be the clincher but some small spelling mistakes are present on the back of the box too!

Now for the fun of getting a refund from eBay! Doh!

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

Sorry to hear that its a scam man fall for. Sites such as e bay are a prime plach to obtain counterfeit products.

The site listed by Lotvic Heidoc page of links to official Microsoft Digitalriver

Has a lot of information relating to Windows 7 including Full versions

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I seem to recall sometime in the past that Microsoft Anti-Piracy team replaced counterfeit software with genuine (free or heavy discounted price) when reported to them. Don't know if they still do this. I recall they are based in Ireland(?)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 release date, price, specs, new features: world's thinnest tablet also gets Touch ID

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Will Photoshop work with Yosemite? And will Illustrator, After Effects, Premiere Pro or the other A?......

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...