We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Seagate DiscWizard How To Restore ?

RobCr
Resolved

Likes # 0

Seagate provides a FREE download of their Seagate DiscWizard It is Acronis True Image, but slightly tweaked for Seagate. I have used it many many times for XP, and it is fairly 'idiot proof'. I cannot say the same for Windows 7 Imaging. Creating the image is 'idiot proof' Restoring the image is a mental challenge for me. Say I had just one partition on a drive, and I create an image. When you try to restore an image, you have to choose from three checkboxes - CMD 100 MB - OS (your real partition) - MBR Ideally there should be one box that you could tick to restore my simple one partition drive, BUT THERE AIN'T So I have to decide which of the three checkboxes to tick I would like to tick the lot, BUT YOU CAN'T You can only tick one at a time. I do not know which one to do first. And if that was not enough of a problem, you have to decide whether to make it Active (Do I make the CMD Active ?) (Do I make the OS Active ?) (Do I position the CMD Hard left) (Do I position the OS hard left) And if that was not enough of a dilemma, You are given two ways to Restore the other two checkboxes - - You can do a mini reverse (Before allowing the Restore) to tick one more checkbox, OR - You can Restore each checkbox one at a time. Either way, you still have to decide on making each Active, and 'hard lefting'.

Needless to say, I got it wrong, and am about to delete all the partitions (CMD apparently being considered a partition) and try Restoring again.

Could anyone point me to a tutorial for doing Seagate DiscWizard Restores of Windows 7

Thanks, Rob

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 1

I found this PDF for DiskWizard which indicates it is only good for XP and Vista - see page 8. But, I would have thought it should work on W7 as well. There may also be help at the Seagate site as they offer a lot of information.

If none of the above helps, I Googled "Seagate DiscWizard tutorial" and had a lot of hits; some of those may help.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 1

Can't you continue to do it the 'old way' with the Seagate Acronis?

Boot from the CD you made, tutorial with screenshots Restore Windows 7/8 Partitions Using Acronis True Image

Like this post
RobCr

Likes # 0

WOW, Thanks for that. It appears that all I ever had to do was tick the OS partition, and ignore the CMD and MBR checkboxes.

If that is all there is, no wonder I had difficulties in the past (but managed to pull it off, until now).

I will try to undo the mess on the drive, and have a fresh go at it.

Thanks much'ly, in anticipation, Rob

Like this post
RobCr

Likes # 0

I am now running again.

This update is mainly for future Googlers.

If I had read the Tutorial a day earlier, I would have been ok. Namely, only tick the middle checkbox (the Partition with the OS, and make it Primary, and complete the Restore)

I had a mess in there (having not read the TUT a day earlier). I tried fixing the mess, but to no avail. So I deleted the CMD and OS partitions.

What I did next, is also the rule for those that are restoring into an empty drive. Do the mini loop 3 times -

• Tick CMD and make it Active

• Tick OS and make it Primary

• Tick MBR

Then do the Restore.

Thanks to you both for taking the time to assist.

Regards, Rob

PS Forgive any excessive blank lines. I appear to (sometimes) have to have two blank lines, to get a line break ?

Like this post  
lotvic

Likes # 0

Glad it's sorted to how you wanted.

Yes you do have to have two blank lines (press enter twice), to get a line break on this forum :)

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

If you consider your question 'Resolved' please can you 'green tick'

Click on one of the big grey ticks to the right of a posting and it will turn green, next time you refresh the page the thread will be marked 'Resolved'

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'