We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

can't create new user account

Shirazz

Likes # 0

This is the tip of a horrible iceberg. Active links in the control panel don't open, as though I don't have permission to access the contents, although UAC doesn't appear. I couldn't install Paint Shop Pro and part of the advice was to create a new account (various reasons, not relevant to this post) but I couldn't. I have full admin rights. Elsewhere, device manager is empty (have posted elsewhere about this) so I can't check device conflicts. I contacted Dell support but had nothing useful back, except the advice that they don't supply W7 repair/reinstall software because it's 'preinstalled and so free' (really? thought I'd bought the whole kit and caboodle), I have to buy a new copy. I don't really want to do a fresh reinstall, although I do feel a bit unarmed without an actual copy of windows to hand, so if anyone has any thoughts, I would be very grateful.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

I look forward to hearing how you get on but am wondering at some point during the repair whether you have to put in a product code which may be the stumbling block if it has already been registered for the laptop - maybe not for a repair.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

I look forward to hearing how you get on but am wondering at some point during the repair whether you have to put in a product code which may be the stumbling block if it has already been registered for the laptop - maybe not for a repair.

Just came across this - disc about £22.

Dell website says:-

Dell Customers can now request a set of backup discs containing the factory-installed operating system as well as the device drivers and utilities specific to your system.

Requests are limited to one (1) set of backup discs per system purchased.
The backup discs requested must match the operating system that was factory installed on

the original order.

Website here.

Like this post
Shirazz

Likes # 0

Spitting feathers! I tried the W7 Home Premium edition first - it didn't get past checking compatibility for over an hour. I aborted that, assuming as it was an upgrade, it couldn't upgrade to an identical version. Then I tried the 64-bit Professional edition - the key entered without a problem but then the installation failed, no reason given. The Dell backup discs are only available to US addressees. It's hard to avoid the conclusion that the software is so corrupted it is unable to help itself, and I am looking now into the abyss of the Datasafe recovery system. In the interests of closure, I will post the outcome of whatever I need to do to get this thing into gear!

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Sorry to hear this - you may be interested in earlier posts on this forum here.

Like this post
Shirazz

Likes # 0

Took the plunge and did a clean install from my now redundant W7 Professional. This is ticking along nicely, I'm connected, networked, and ready to get going once I find my Norton install. And I've got myself an unexpected upgrade! Right now, it's installing 93 Windows updates so it may have indigestion at the next boot! There's more of this tale on another thread - device manager empty in W7 - if you're driven to look. The two of you, here and over there, have been such a support it's almost been worth the trouble. Almost ... :)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes