We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Bunch of eula and .dll files suddenly appeared on Data drive.

Skeletor
Resolved

Likes # 0

I keep my C drive for Win 7 and programs. My D drive is for data: Documents, music, photos, movies etc.

Today I noticed that a load of files have suddenly appeared there. These are eula,dll and installer files. 24 file in total. Looking at a eula file it appears to be something to do with Microsoft and states:

*You have received the software as part of the Visual Studio 9.0 Beta Program. The terms and conditions of the Visual Studio 9.0, Beta 1 license agreement applies to your use of the software.** MICROSOFT PRE-RELEASE SOFTWARE LICENSE TERMS MICROSOFT VISUAL STUDIO 9.0 PROFESSIONAL, BETA 1 These license terms are an agreement between Microsoft Corporation (or based on where you live, one of... etc*

Anyone know what this is about? I don't recall downloading anything like this, and in any case, I'm a little tidier with my downloads.

Can I just delete these files? Or is that going to cause problems?

Any info much appreciated.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

EULA's are most likely End-User License Agreements (those big legal blobs of text that no one reads, and you click "accept" otherwise the program won't install).

Did you find this in some program's folder? If so, that's probably the EULA for that program. If you delete it, at worst, the program might stop working.

I think more importantly is the fact that these are text documents. Even if you delete them, you're likely to free up less than a single megabyte (1 MB) of space. If you're trying to clean out hard drive space, deleting these txt documents honestly will get you nowhere.

My point is that there's no reason to delete them.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

And then there is the reason why you should always read them before clicking OK

Because you almost certainly gave away a ton and a half of your rights when you did it - everything from allowing the company to install any software it wanted on your computer without even bothering to tell you (yes - a lot of legitimate companies do that - and a lot of scam artists have installed malware on systems after getting the user to click a EULA OK that said it was OK to install malware - at that point there isn't much law enforcement can do about it). You may have agreed to not access your own data without their permission. You may have agreed to a lot of things you really didn't want to. You almost certainly agreed that you couldn't sue them, for anything, under any circumstances, even if they did something completely and totally illegal.

Like this post
Skeletor

Likes # 0

Thanks northumbria61

"Did you find this in some program's folder?" No, they are loose on my D drive (Data). I say "loose", because everything on my D drive is in its relevant folder, except these pesky files.

I know what eula and dll files are, I just don't know how they got there or if they're ok to delete (my guess is that they are). I never (knowingly) download and install anything that I'm unsure of.

As they appear to be from Microsoft, my initial thought was that they may have come from a Windows Update, now I'm not so sure.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I would copy them to a DVD or another drive, then delete them. If anything does not work you could retrieve them. A puzzle as to why they are on the data partition.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

seems to be a bug with another progs installer ClickHere and scroll down to the bottom two posts

Like this post  
Skeletor

Likes # 0

Many thanks lotvic

Those are the exact files I have. So, it's a long-term bug that MS seem unable to fix (the first post in that thread was Nov 2008). Anyway, seems they're safe to delete.

Thanks again lotvic, much appreciated.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Thanks for letting us know, makes you wonder how many others have those files and don't know why or what to do with them :0

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...