We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Win7 SP1, confused!

caccy
Resolved

Likes # 0

I think I must be getting simple in my old age, so can someone please help me out? If I buy any of the Win 7 products do they include SP1 or is that an additional add-on. The confusion comes from looking at places selling Win7 who also seem to have Win7 SP1 available at an extra cost.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

There seem to be Windows 7 products creeping in that now include SP1 - these mostly are aimed at System Builders. What you should be looking it is something like Windows 7 Home Premium Full Edition or, if you are doing an upgrade, the relevant upgrade version.

You do not need to have SP1 as this will be dealt with once the OS is installed through the Windows Updates.

Like this post
caccy

Likes # 0

difarn

Thanks for your reply. Will "tick" as resolved.

Like this post  
buteman

Likes # 0

I just downloaded W/7 SP1 from the Internet to put on my Grandaughters Laptop and it is much quicker than downloading SP1 from the Microsoft Updates.

So I know which one I would prefer.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Glad to have been of some help.

Buteman

Are you talking about the Windows 7 OS with SP1 or just the SPl download. Caccy was, I believe talking about buying a Windows 7 OS disk, hence my answer.

I have SP1 installed on my W7 PC and it took only minutes from the Microsoft updates so it obviously varies from PC to PC.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

You certainly do not need to pay extra for SP1 as it is free and if anyone is try to charge for it then they are at it. You could purchase a copy of Windows 7 which will give you the all important C.O.A number then you could the go here Win7 + SP 1 download and burn to disk the Windows 7 and SP 1 of your choice and then use the disk with your purchased C.O.A. And this way save yourself a bit of time updating after installing Windows 7.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers