We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Fails to Install

morddwyd
Resolved

Likes # 0

Tried to install twice, but install gets to 25% (both times) then computer shuts down.

Restart is simply a normal boot into Win 7 with no sign of any Windows 8 interface at all.

Any suggestions?

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

I presume you have downloaded win 8 . You then burnt iso to dvd. You put dvd in drive - switched off - then started the pc -boot into dvd. Then what did you do?

Like this post  
sharpamat

Likes # 0

Further to woodys post, How did you try to load Win 8?

Was it a clean install or an upgrade that you attempted?

If a clean install was it to an empty partion, a spare HD or a VD?

If you tryed an upgrade It cannot be uninstalled only removed

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Thanks for the responses.

Tried both a bootable usb drive and a hard disc install.

Eventually got it to install up to the final reboot, but then got a message that install had failed and was reverting to previous version (Win 7 64 bit).

Then found that the installation was corrupt and looping, and had to go right back to basics and go into the BIOS.

I was playing around the best part of the whole day yesterday.

I think I'll wait for the retail version, or at least the RC!

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

USB drive - thats a NO NO. If you have tried to load it onto an internal hard drive and it failed - download/burn onto a different speed DVD. The win 8 program is very sound - thats not saying i like it! It is worth trying.

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

Further to woodys advice plus my own.I only ever use an external drive for back up and restoring information

1 Did you if fact burn the image you downloaded on a DVD?

2 Check your internal hard drive, you may have enough space to make a new partion into which you can load Win 8

Installing is simple useing the method as per woodys first reply.Plus select a clean install and direct it to the partion you want to install it on

there is no confirmation as yet on a RC so its still unknown if this will happen / or if it does will be made available to users

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"USB drive - thats a NO NO."

Could you advise why?

It's offered as an option, so should be OK.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

Win 8 release is an early form of the OS. You will see a number of sites showing how they have succeeded with usb. In my opinion/experience - like always on the net it is only my opinion/experience - usb is a no no. Part of trying a new program is to find how easy it is to download/install/use. If you have tried best part of the day - you know your set up - pc/dvd/usb etc is not working with this item. It loads quite easy with no problems IF the components are ok. We did ask - did you try a dvd - did you try a diff dvd speed or do you insist on usb?

The things I do not like and your,usb, problem can be overcome but the idea of trying a pre retail version is to see how it works straight out of the box.

Don't give up but try the easy way - its usually the best.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Take your point, reason I tried the USB route was because it was the easier option - I had the usb drive to hand, but I didn't have a dvd.

When I have another couple of hours to spare (I'm with BT, the download literally takes hours, they can't get above 2 mtgs!) I'll give it a try.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

Did you download it to usb? or to hard drive? If you DL to HD it is still there - now burn it to DVD.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Yes, I've got it as a 3gig ISO file so I might give it a whirl.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback