We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

deleting typed URLs in Vista

palinka

Likes # 0

THis problem has existed ever since I began using Vista - long ago. In XP, ME etc, etc there was a method of deleting typed URLs that one no longer wanted (in my case usually because they were inaccurate). In Vista it seems to be impossible. Yes I can go through the process that worked in previous OSs, but the URLs simply re-appear. Any solutions, please. And apologies if I asked the same question a long time ago - i didn't receive a solution then and the problem is still annoying me.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Can you tell me where you want to delete them from?

Like this post
palinka

Likes # 0

I want to delete them from the list that drops down (in IE)when I click the down arrow - in other words the URLs that I've already typed at some time & could now select to save re-typing. Vista allows a shorter list than older OSs did so it' a nuisance to have 8sable URLs not appear in the list when other - inaccurate ones - still do.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

I assume that you have tried deleting them in IE history?

You can disable autocomplete which should mean that the URL's are not stored

Open Internet Explorer. Click Tools and then Internet Options. In the Internet Options window click the Content tab. Click the AutoComplete button. Uncheck web page addresses.

Hope this helps.

Like this post
BurrWalnut

Likes # 0

If you still haven't solved it, remove unwanted IE address bar URLs in the registry. Open a Run window (Windows Logo key+R), type regedit, press Enter then navigate to HKEYCURRENTUSER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TypedURLs. In the right pane, right-click and delete those that are unwanted.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...