We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Device manager empty in W7 64-bit

Shirazz

Likes # 0

There was a typical long list until recently, and now they're all gone. I was looking for my scanner which isn't being recognised, although the printer (it's an all-in-one HP photosmart 8180) is recognised and will print. I've run driver updates, registry cleanups, and system restore but with no effect. Ach!

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 1

Well done - I admire your determination. Good luck and I hope it all works well. When fully up to date, I would do an ATI or similar image or clone on another drive , for belt and braces!

Like this post
Shirazz

Likes # 0

Thank you - I don't like to be beat by a few chips and circuit boards! Do you have any recommendations about cloning software? (And what's an ATI?). I used to have Norton Ghost, but it drove me potty with its constant complaints about not being able to find the disc, not deleting the previous images, and the like. Most of my stuff is severally backed up to servers, external drives, and Dropbox so I don't lose anything important. What's left is the reinstalling of applications and making sure all my .pst files get moved over. Time consuming but not too anxiety provoking. I'm worried I'm getting quite good at this though!

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

ATI = Acronis True Image.. Many here think that ,although not free, it is the best back up / cloning software. (There will be detractors) . I can only tell you what I do. My Main HD is partitioned into C (100gig) for system and programme files. My data, including Outlook is on my F partition still on the main HD but with the Main Folder heading "my Documents" with all the old sub and sub sub folders such as "My Music", "My Spreadsheets" etc etc.

I have a second HD in a removable caddy and indeed another HD in a similar caddy kept elsewhere, along with a USB HD.

I also have Freefilesynch (SynchToy is another) which can make mirror copies of data. This type of programme is only suitable for data as Programme files need something like ATI.

About once a day I run Freefilesynch to copy all of my F Partition ("My Documents" to copy all data + Outlook, .pst etc to my second drive. About once a week, after scanning for bugs and a defrag, I make an image of the C partition to the USB HD , (I do not bother with the incremental one), When I next do one I ditch the penultimate image so have 2 images at any one time. In the case of a crash, one can use the ATI CD to launch , then implement the image to replace the c partition in trouble. NB you have to "verify" the image so this all takes quite a time.

As a belt and braces, I use the (third) caddy mounted HD, about once a month after MS updates to make a clone of the whole of the main drive (both partitions). This is a doomsday back up - if used you would lose the data since the last clone. A clone is an exact copy of the whole disc and its partitions. A n image can be made of each partition, and can be incremental if you wish. (I do not) You can do all of the above with a couple of USB HD's. I like the removable caddies as, when in the tower, are just as fast as the main SATA disc.

All this is to avoid the hassle of losing (in the event of a crash)all the updates, not only to W7 , but to other programmes I have such as PS CS4.

Like this post
Shirazz

Likes # 0

That looks worth figuring out. It would be a new enterprise for me but I'm becoming quite incremental, even if all my backups aren't! I use Goodsync for my data and I have a caddy for old HDs I've removed from decommissioned machines (some of my professional work involves forensic material that would need deep cleaning, so I wipe them but I don't let them go). I think, with a bit of focus, I could run cloning software and save myself the re-installation hassle, should I find myself in this position again. I really appreciate your support, and that of the person on the other thread, with all this. Sensible advice that asks before it tells :)

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Do read up on ATI. Re your old HD's, I hope you have the free CCleaner (Crap Cleaner) that gets rid of cookies etc. It also has a mild registry cleaner, and a " Drive wiper" that you can use to overwrite spare space either 3 passes, 7 or even 35 passes. I think even the FBI find 7 passes enough to be sure data can't be recovered.

I hope your determination means you will have a hassle free system. I assume you have one anti virus, such as Microsoft Security Essentials, running and recommend (free) Malawarebytes and Superantispyware as malware scanners/ cleaners, along with Spywareblaster as a malware blocker. Forgive me if you have covered these issues already.

Like this post
Shirazz

Likes # 0

I'll certainly look into ATI and I like the sound of CCleaner - my method, when I'm done, is to knock the stuffing out of the old HDs with a hammer! I'm running Norton 360 which seems to pretty much do the lot and I've never been afflicted by any untoward bits of malware. At least not since *1995 when someone I knew 'sent' me a picture. I didn't know then, and I suspect most people didn't, that accounts could be hijacked, so I gave the friend an ear-bashing! *Just realised how long ago that was - frightening!

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 1

Here it is - use the freebie, and don't bother with the Scan your computer offers!

CCleaner

Like this post
Shirazz

Likes # 0

Thank you, I'll put that on all my devices.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I run it most days on the default settings.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

A quick Google shows may instances of this issue.

The easiest remedy is to do a system restore, otherwise a manual fix in the registry seems to be the alternative.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs UK: Is this the actual Note 4 - video

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...