We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Device manager empty in W7 64-bit

Shirazz

Likes # 0

There was a typical long list until recently, and now they're all gone. I was looking for my scanner which isn't being recognised, although the printer (it's an all-in-one HP photosmart 8180) is recognised and will print. I've run driver updates, registry cleanups, and system restore but with no effect. Ach!

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Have you run a scan for malware with Malawarebytes and / or Superantispyware? Otherwise open a command prompt as an administrator and run sfc/ scannow

Like this post
Shirazz

Likes # 0

I have Norton 360; I'm assuming that has it covered. There have been no indications of malware. I wouldn't know how to run a command prompt, unfortunately, but I'll find out if need be. Thank you, John.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 1

Just go to Start / All programmes/ Accessories/ then Right click on Command prompt and select "run as administrator". Then enter. A black box will appear. type in sfc/ scannow (note gap after /) than enter. It should run and check and correct system files. No harm in running SAS (Superantispyware) in spite of Norton.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Also see here:

microsoft link

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Just before this, Click on Start, then Right click on "computer" then select "manage" then see what is in device manager.

Like this post
Shirazz

Likes # 0

Thank you John, I'll give this a go tomorrow. There is nothing in device manager at all. I was looking in there for my scanner, that's how I saw it was empty. There had been some conflicts identified earlier which may have been the reason my webcam wasn't being recognised, but that had not been a priority so I left it. Then I wondered if they were affecting the scanner, so I went in to look. Can of worms opened! Another recommendation has been to repair Windows; I'll try your suggestion first though. Thanks again.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 1

Re my former post.(9.04 pm yesterday) correction to type . Should be sfc /SCANNOW - not as above. Note space between sfc and / and upper case SCANNOW. Just tried it. Takes about 10 minutes.

Like this post
Shirazz

Likes # 0

Phew! Thanks for the update - I've been busy so hadn't got round to doing anything yet. Looks like tomorrow again. Cheers

Like this post
Shirazz

Likes # 0

Ran the command prompt and all's clear, so it looks like I might need to repair Windows. Thanks so much for your help.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

**Shirazz

If the scannow is all clear I would be inclined to telephone the microsoft tech help. They can be quite helpful on such things and may save you a reinstall.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes