We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

DVD/CD Rom not recognising cd

Eryilmt

Likes # 0

Hi, Hope someone can help this problem is driving me insane! I've got a theory driving cd and have installed the cd onto my HP laptop and all seems fine! When I run the program from the start menu the title menu comes up and when I click start a box pops up saying 'Please insert successful driver DVD to continue or Cancel to quit programme', So i then put the dvd into the laptop and it makes all sorts of stuttering noises and I keep clicking ok on the box and it just keeps returning the same message. Basically I can't run the program. It's not the CD because I have just installed and opened it on another laptop just fine. The problem laptop plays movies from DVDs no problems it's just this program I can't open.

I've checked the dvd driver in the device manager and it says it's working and I've tried to update it but it says I have the most update version.

I'm using windows 7 and have a HP Probook 4530s.

Can anyone help.... please?

Thanks Toni

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

"It's not the CD because I have just installed and opened it on another laptop just fine. The problem laptop plays movies from DVDs no problems it's just this program I can't open."

OK, so the drive plays DVDs and the CD runs on other computers, but does the "problem" computer play other CDs?

As these drives use a different laser for CD and for DVD, it's possible that the CD laser in the drive isn't working.

Like this post
Eryilmt

Likes # 0

Hi Thanks for your reply. If the laser isn't working then would this let it install, I have uninstalled and reinstalled god knows how many times as I thought this was the problem. My husband seems to think this happened when he installed hp updates. We have deleted the dvd driver and then restarted the computer and it has automatically reinstalled but this hasn't fixed the problem.

If it is the laser will I have to get this done professionally and is this a lot money - we only brought this laptop a month ago!

Thanks Toni

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

If it is a hardware problem, i.e. faulty laser, then it will be covered under the warranty. Assuming it cannot read any CDs and if it was bought locally, have it checked out by the seller.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'