We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

erratic cursor

Trotter2

Likes # 0

hi, i use windows 7 and just lately my curser keeps going awol. for some reason the cursor jumps to the top left or right of my screen and multiple tabs open in my browser, ie earlier today, 197 tabs opened in mozilla firefox. is this a problem with settings, mozilla or my mouse? i recently bought a new mouse as i thought it was at fault, but the problem persists! any ideas? please make replies as simple as possible! thankyou!

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

What security, antivirus, spyware, malware programs, firwall etc do you have? It sounds like you got infected (probably by visiting an infected webpage sometime)

do you also get any popup messages - say from a fake security program or similar warnings, stuff like that?

Like this post
Trotter2

Likes # 0

hi, i have avast, ad-aware, ccleaner, spywareblaster, windows defender. windows firewall. it brings up a page for a program to speed up computer! i have scanned fully but nothing was found!

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Download and run http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free (it will not conflict with the programs you have already installed) prior to running scan update it's database.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

What mousemat are you using? The wrong mousemat can cause erratic mouse cursor behaviour.

Like this post
Trotter2

Likes # 0

hi lotvic, thanks for link! have run full scan but found nothing! still got problem!

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Do you by any chance have a laptop on which you are using a usb mouse? If so, have you disabled the touchpad as this could be causing your problems.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

If you have a desktop have you tried checking the mouse settings by going to Control Panel, Mouse, and Pointer Options, Uncheck the "Enhance Pointer Precision" and check if it resolves the issue.

Like this post
Trotter2

Likes # 0

Hi difarn, thanks for the tip but I still have this problem! It doesn't happen all the time, just occasionally! I have scanned with every security programme I have but they find no faults! I don't know what else to try!

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

This is puzzling. What sort of mouse is it? Wired, wireless, optical? Is the mouse driver up to date? If it is a wired usb one have you tried one of the ports at the back of the PC? If it is wireless you can try this with the transmitter.

Have you been able to test it on another PC?

Try:- Start - type in mouse - go to pointer options and untick everything that is ticked, log off and boot up again.

Do you by any chance have a Microsoft mouse and have intellipoint/intellitype software installed?
An extract from a long blog gives the advice:- "You could try to disable the 'snap to' feature as follows.

Press CTRL+ESC to open the start menu.

Use the up arrow key to select 'settings', press the right arrow key to select 'control panel', and press enter.

Use the arrow keys to select the keyboard icon, and press enter.

Press SHIFT+TAB, press right arrow, and then press right arrow to select the pointer activity tab.

Press TAB three times, and then press Space Bar to clear the 'Snap pointer to default button in dialog boxes' check box.

Press TAB twice, and then press Enter.

Close the control panel.

Download and install the '11p32upd.exe' file from the Microsoft download centre.

After the download has been installed, you can use the mouse tool in control panel to re-enable the 'Snap to' feature. "

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 review: Great if you like big, expensive phones

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015