We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Standby/Sleep

Hoima_2

Likes # 0

Hello I have a Pavillion 9250 running Win Vista, problem is once it goes on standby/sleep the computer won't wake up again, once I move the mouse or press the space bar, the CD drive will start to churn (to read) the power light will come on the computer but the computer itself won't, nither will the monitor. So far I have replaced the HD and reinstalled the factory settings, updated HP and Windows, updated the CMOS and the Video driver; any suggestions? Nick

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

There are several suggestions in this article from HP - have a look and see if there are any that you haven't tried yet.

Like this post
Hoima_2

Likes # 0

Thx difarn, but non of that seem to rectify the problem.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Are you saying that this still happens even when you disable the sleep function or are you unable to get your laptop to boot at all? If you are able to boot up do you re-start by pressing and holding down the start button or by a designated keyboard key - some 9250's use the down arrow.

If you haven't been able to get it to boot up but the power light is on - have you accidentally pressed the function key that changes the display to a second monitor? Do you have a second monitor that you could try?

Have you checked the laptop battery? Have you tried taking this out and re-booting using the power cable only then replacing the battery? Or remove all power, battery and AC hold the button down for 30 seconds, plug ac back in and start up.

If you can boot up have you tried shutting down using the normal shut-down function and then re-booting.

Like this post
Hoima_2

Likes # 0

It's a desktop Pavillion 9250, all works fine except for when the Computer goes on standby, manually or even by itself, the HD is unable to wake up, when I try to wake it up with the space bar, power button or otherwise, the light on the power button will light up, the CD/DVD will start to read and so on except the HD which won't come ON untill I restart the system.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Microsoft teases new OS ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

September 2014 creative trends: 5 things you must see

IDG UK Sites

What to expect from Apple in autumn/winter 2014: iPhone 6, iPhone Air, iWatch, iPad 6, new Apple...