We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can I disable IE

Hetti

Likes # 0

IE9 AND 8 has been causing problems on my PC with regards to Adobe Flash player. So I now use Chrome and have no problems with flash player, but when I try to view records in family tree maker software it try's to open widows with IE not Chrome, although Chrome is set as default.It then asks to install flash player again. So I wondered if it is possible to disable IE.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

It may be easier to uninstall and then reinstall Family Tree Maker which should then pick up the new default browser. Just make sure you save your data to a GEDCOM file before you unistall, you can then import it after reinstalling.

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

I just spoke to the help line for the FTM software, he advised me the software will only work within IE so I cannot disable it anyway......... So please disregard my query

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

Thanks chub_tor

But as you see in my second post according to help guys FTM needs IE:>(

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

You also need IE for Microsoft updates, and Hotmail/Windows Live also uses MSN which in turn relies on Internet Explorer.

Like this post
jack kallis

Likes # 0

You can remove IE9 Beta using the following steps.

1. Close all programs.

2. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.

3. Click Uninstall a Program.

4. In the Tasks pane, click View installed updates.

5. In the list of installed updates, double-click Windows Internet Explorer9.

6. In the Uninstall an update dialog box, click Yes.

7. Follow the instructions to uninstall Internet Explorer 9.

8. When the uninstall program is finished, restart your computer.

9. After you restart your computer, open Internet Explorer.

10. Click About Internet Explorer on the Help menu. If Internet Explorer 7 or 8 appears in the About Internet Explorerdialog box, then you have successfully completed the uninstall.

Windows Support

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room