We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

XP/2000 Docs. on W7

BLT69

Likes # 0

I'm sure there's an obvious answer to this but my limited knowledge isn't up to it! I have new computer running W7;I have numerous docs. on external hard drive created using XP and in some early cases W2000. My Christmas card address labels and other data are on Home Publishing 2000. I have all the old discs but pc won't allow installation. How do I access Microsoft Word, spreadsheets and Home Publishing data on my W7 pc?

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

If you have put Office on your PC you will find it

start - all programs - Microsoft Office

It will depend on which version of Office you have whether there is Publisher included.

If you have not put Office on, and do not have a copy, then you could try Open Office - a very good free alternative.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

You may be out of luck with the Microsoft Home Publishing 2000 program although possible slim chance to get access to it if you try links on ClickHere and AlsoClickHere If you really want to continue to use it I would suggest getting hold of a cheap pc with XP on it to use with your old programs that won't work with W7.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Which version of W7 do you have?

If Pro or above you will find Windows Virtual PC is part of it; you can download the extra items from MS and run older XP software from that.

If not then try Compatibility Mode which may allow the software to function.

Like this post
BLT69

Likes # 0

Many thanks for responses. I don't have pro version of W7; I think I may have to accept that I'm going to be out of luck with this - I'll have to start to build up some data on the new operating system, and see if I can locate a local contact running XP or 2000 I can get to retrieve some of the info.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia branding killed in place of 'Microsoft Lumia': Windows Phone moves into new era

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should you update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8? iOS 8.1 brings back Camera Roll, adds Apple Pay in...