We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The dependency service or group failed to start

Cedric Harper

Likes # 0

Hi All

Was going to ask for advice to help me instal SP1 prior to upgrading to Win 7 but now I have another, more pressing problem.

In attempting the various workarounds for SP1 I ran SFC/scnow and Chkdsk. When I ran the latter it identified various errors on the disk that it couldn't fix and suggested using the f fixit function which I duly did.

After restarting I found that I had lost internet access. When you hover over the icon you get the message above. I've done some research and tried running the Netsh Winsock Reset line at the command prompt but to no joy. I've also tried system restore but when I try this I am told that there are no retore points!

In device manager I do have a yellow symbol next to one of the devices so guess I may have to uninstall and then reinstall drivers. Hwever, I'm worried about doing this as I won't be able to search for the new driver as no internet!!

Sorry this is so long but you can probably tell I'm desperate. I'm only able to use the net as I dual boot and thankfully good ole XP is working fine as usual.

I'd really appreciate any advice or fixes for this.

Many thanks

Simon

BTW I use Vista Home 32 bit

Like this post
Cedric Harper

Likes # 0

Hi Update

The device manager yellow icon is a red herring. Just realised that it related to a VIA card I once installed and now removed. I think the main network drivers are fine (Intel 82566DC-2).

If I have trashed my TCP/IP settings I wonder how I reset them?

Thanks again

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

You shouldn't have to reset anything - if you use a broadband router it will use its Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) service to automatically assign an IP address to any computer that is connected to it.

Like this post
Cedric Harper

Likes # 0

Hi

I have BT Infinity with HH2. Since carrying out the fix recommended by Windows itself I now have this status next to the internet symbol in the system tray and I definitely cannot connect to the internet.

There is nothing wrong with the router as all lights are blue and normal.

This is obviously a Windows issue and I was hoping I wasn't the only one to be in this predicament.

Like this post
Cedric Harper

Likes # 0

Hi

Update. Tried Netsh malarkey again to reset "stack" but no good.

Also tried repair on Vista CD but no good.

Unable to try repair by pressing F8 as I'm asked for password which I don't know and didn't create.

I just can't conceive how such a catastrophic failure can have occurred when only using Windows tools!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Try this:-

Click Start. Go to Programs, then Accessories and highlight Command Prompt. Right click and select Run as Administrator.

At the C:\ prompt, type in the following commands:

net localgroup administrators localservice /add

(then hit enter)

net localgroup administrators networkservice /add

(then hit enter)

Reboot your computer.

Like this post
Cedric Harper

Likes # 0

Hi

Thanks for suggestion. Entered both those lines and confirmed succesfully updated etc.

Unfortuntately still have the dependency or group failed to start and no internet with Vista.

Intrigued to know if other folk have used and had probs with Chkdsk f fixit. The only thing it fixed was my internet access whcih has gone kapoot.

Like this post
Cedric Harper

Likes # 0

Further update

I tried the Services tab from within Computer Management and the Network Location Awareness option was shown as stopped. I tried to restart but got Error 1068 The dependency service or group failed to start!

Guess I'm own my own on this as no one else with Vista had had the misfortune of using the Chkdsk fix F routine.

Thanks

Like this post
Simon Sudbury

Likes # 0

Hi

Is there no intel on how to resolve this issue?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Check, in services, that COM+ Event System is started and set to automatic. Run the system file checker (sfc /scannow) link.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more