We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What is the point of the Metro Interface?

Stephanie

Likes # 3

On a regular desktop PC I can see no point in the Metro interface. Looking at the number of posts about removing it, I suspect I am not alone. On a regular mouse and keyboard setup it seems messy, unattractive and pointless. Furthermore it is not user friendly if you have an existing arrangement of data that is non-standard. Why can I not point to the actual location of my photos from within the 'Photos' tile? Why would I want to see my Facebook photos on here when I already have them in a folder locally?

I confess to having a (possibly) pathological liking for a clear, empty desktop so I find Metro visually unpleasant but the fact that it is not even useful organisationally just adds insult to injury. I don't believe that PCs are used in the same way as tablets and smart phones. My PC is where I work. My iPad is my lazy leisure appliance and serves its purpose well, but I wouldn't use it as my data organiser.

At the moment, Windows 8 has nothing to offer me over and above Windows 7.

Like this post
mrmagoo10

Likes # 0

Well Folks - When the Metro screen comes up you just click on the Desktop App & you are right back at your good old W7 desktop. I'm not crazy about the Metro features either. What really upsets me is the way IE-10 was redesigned so that we now do not have the Favorites feature to save our often-used URLs into any more. If that feature is still there, I can't find it or figger it out! lol Why do we always have to fix something that is not broken??

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

Sorry mrmagoo10 but selecting the desktop but look closer, This is why many are not useing it. It may take you to the desktop but not the desktop as known in windows 7

As for IE10 the options are still there to do what you are looking for, They are the same as IE9. look for a star in the top right have , that opens the feature you are used to

Like this post
Input Overload

Likes # 0

A couple of vids on YouTube which shows why I think MS need to give some sort of start menu as least as an option.

Out of interest I also loaded Window 8 & asked a few visitors to have a play with it - Few were impressed - Change occurs but to drop it on users like a ton of bricks might not be the best way to go about it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyc1RVCXvAk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4boTbv9_nU&feature=fvwrel

Like this post
mrmagoo10

Likes # 0

Hi Sharpamat - I beg to differ with you but when I click on the Desktop App I see exactly what I would see in W7 - minus the Start Button. I must say that I am running W8 in a virtual environment & this may be affecting some of my problems. I am limited to a mouse & no touch screen. I see the star you mention but the star does not give me access to a Favorites area where I can create folders & group URLs by subject. I only see an option there to add to favorites bar. With over 50 URLs to keep track of, I am not interested in a Favorites Bar, as such. Again, this may be a Virtual Environment problem. I'll keep trying, tho.

Like this post
mrmagoo10

Likes # 0

Hi Again, Sharpamat - I finally got it through my thick head that one has to "right-click" the star in order to see the check boxs for the Menu & Favorites tool bars. All is swell now & I have answered my own questions, at least about IE 10. Thanks for getting me close to the right location.

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

mrmagoo10 what you actually see switching from metro to desktop is the win 8 eta desktop, Not the windows 7 desktop. The main differance is that all previous version of windows from 95 up to win 7 have a classic start menu. Win 8 Beta does not have this with the easier use of the Functions it controls.

The star does give all the normal functions ( Inc add to Favorites ) history etc.This is normally left click, if you right click it will give you the tools too and add the menu bar, you can access the Favorites from there but do not get the add to option this you clearly have done but they are two differant functions

As far as I am aware the same applies to whatever environment you are running the Beta in, if correctley installed it will basically work the same

Not haveing a touch screen display, I cannot say why on your setup it does not. Presume you have a touch screen ?? if not that is why it does not work. without the hardware the software will not work. Others who have posted who do have touch screens in the many posts have not said that in doesnt work at all.

Mouse , keyboard and virtual keyboard I again found no problems

Like this post
Input Overload

Likes # 0

Looking like Mozilla are at least some of the way to getting Firefox to work in Metro - Sigh of relief from me.

Firefox for 8

Like this post
Migwell

Likes # 1

After seeing the demo's above there is NO WAY I will be going Win8

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...