We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

how do I get my Home network back?

Stressed Mum

Likes # 0

My network has changed from Home network to Public unidentified...Windows 7. I can't change anything to get it back. I have tied removing all network connections and reinstalling but to no avail. Any suggestions? Thank you

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

There are options here to try enter link description here

Like this post
Stressed Mum

Likes # 0

yes - network discovery is turned on

Like this post
Stressed Mum

Likes # 0

thanks for the link - I've been there all morning - to no avail.

Like this post
Stressed Mum

Likes # 0

maybe the best option is to delete everything - all networks etc and start again? I have in fact tried most of that - but must be missing something. This must be something to do with home sharing??

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Try going to Device Manager - Network Adapters - Disable - Re-enable - Or you could right click and select Update Driver Software.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

This MAY be the solution for you -

Control Panel --> Device Manager -->Network Adapters

Right Click on your WiFi Adapter and choose UNINSTALL

Leave the "delete driver" box UNCHECKED

Once the wifi adapter is gone, right click on "Network Adapters" and choose scan for hardware changes. It will re-find your adapter.

Now go connect to the wireless network of your choice and in the network and sharing center the words "Public Network" should be a clickable link that you can then change to Home Work etc.

Like this post
Stressed Mum

Likes # 0

Golly - still no! I did everything you suggested - in fact I had done this before also, but no changes. When I go to sharing 'public network' is still there - the wifi signal is full strength but I am not able to remove or change - still says unidentified network - whereas on my daughters laptop (with no internet problems) hers is showing Home network and working without any problems. The other difference is that my daughters shows as joined to the HomeGroup - whereas my sons doesn't show this at all??

Like this post
Stressed Mum

Likes # 0

how can I reset the network to start again from scratch?

Like this post
Stressed Mum

Likes # 0

Now this is interesting... I have just hardwired internet - working fine - showing as connected to home network?? Why not the wifi?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

These are things to try if not already done so -

Device manager, uninstall the adapters and reboot....or Rebuilt the TCP/IP stack

Command prompt (right click and Run as Administrator) type netsh int ip reset C:\IpStackReset.txt ....or Reset Winsock command prompt type netsh winsock reset

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback