We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

how do I get my Home network back?

Stressed Mum

Likes # 0

My network has changed from Home network to Public unidentified...Windows 7. I can't change anything to get it back. I have tied removing all network connections and reinstalling but to no avail. Any suggestions? Thank you

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Why not the wifi? Because that's where the problem is which we haven't yet solved.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

The other difference is that my daughters shows as joined to the HomeGroup - whereas my sons doesn't show this at all??

Have you ALL joined the HOMEGROUP - go to Network & Sharing Center - under See Also (bottom left) choose Homegroup - follow the instructions.

Like this post
Stressed Mum

Likes # 0

Sorry - deerrrr! Im not too good at these things! Ok tried all you suggested still no further forward. Wired internet showing as it should wifi signal top rate strength but showing as unidentified connected but no internet access.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Okay - have you tried Network & Sharing Center - (right click on taskbar) then Troubleshoot Problems - or choose Setup a New Connection or Network

You could try rebooting Router.

Like this post
Stressed Mum

Likes # 0

Yes both laptops in home group - they are wifi internet. Then we have Dad's PC hardwired and my Mac wifi. As far as I am aware it was only the kids in a home group - they both wifi printing to my printer.

Like this post
Stressed Mum

Likes # 0

I have tried setting up new connections, and new network - but no good - revers to public again. Im now off to reboot router for the umpteenth time.... ill be back!

Like this post
Stressed Mum

Likes # 0

would this be anything to do with setting in Netgear router. When I hardwire my sons laptop it shows up on the attic he'd devices...??

Like this post
Stressed Mum

Likes # 0

Hey nothumbria61 !!* We're up! Yes - we are! Now I don't know what did it - but hey - its done. I rebooted the router (although I had done this several time already) and when I came back to reply to you my internet (Mac wifi) was lost - it searched again and told me that someone else has taken my ip address and to wait a moment - (my sons laptop perhaps??) My mac wifi reconnected and sons laptop showing connected to Home Network with internet access via wifi - hurray hurray - thank your so much for your help. This has taken me since 9am this morning.... I'll definitely keep this thread for future reference - just in case!! That the first time I heard of a PC laptop taking over the Mac!! I thought Mac would win that fight! Thanks again. SM :)

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Great News! So has re-booting the Router done the trick or not sure? I haven't been on as long as you with this - only two and a half hours - but really good to see things are working again. Now don't go and break it again !!

Like this post
Stressed Mum

Likes # 0

Im not sure if it was the router - as I said I had tried that several time - more than I can count... but something you suggested has worked - so that's brilliant - thank you. I won't go breaking it again - but I cannot speak for my son - he's always clicking about on it - must have been something to do with the updates yesterday I think. Thanks again - have the rest of the day off now!! Ha cheers! SM x

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...