We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Time and my computer.

tristar16
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi. I am running a Packard Bell desktop,model BV ixtremeX9610 with Win7 home premium. A couple of times I have fired it up and the displayed time in the task bar has been wrong. Also have a clock widget on the desktop page which is about 5 hours out. Emails have time stamps which are way out. This sounds like a CMOS battery problem to me, but when I asked a 'Tech guy' from Packard Bell and enquired which battery type I need he assured me that the machine didn't have one! I have reset the clock using the bios - but the widget clock is still wrong. Time zones checked, OK. Must admit, haven't actually checked motherboard yet, but feel sure there MUST be a CMOS battery there. Would appreciate advice.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

I would be very surprised if there was no CMOS battery on the motherboard. I know Amiga used rechargeable batteries but know of no Windows PC that has ever used them.

There are two options both involve opening the case so disconnect from the mains power first.

Look at the motherboard for a battery. Generally found near the bottom and it looks like a small silver disk.

You could also examine the motherboard for its identity, usually a manufacturer and part number of some sort on a clear area of the board. Having found this do a search for it online and look for a picture or battery replacement instructions.

Like this post  
tristar16

Likes # 0

Thank you Johndrew, I like the idea of looking up motherboard! I'll try that later and get back to you.

Regards, tristar3

Like this post
tristar16

Likes # 0

I found a site that could help me. I'm assured that it's the good old 2032, so I even have a spare ready!

Thanks again for your help, using the motherboard make would never have occurred to me. I'm just surprised that the Packard Bell Tech guy didn't know!

Regards,

tristar3

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites