We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Printer Cheat

jimforrest

Likes # 0

I have an Acer Aspire Laptop running Win 7 which I often use for work related stuff, some of which involves scheming out layouts for Power Station Systems. As the Reports are prepared in Word I usually add Appendixes with the Scheme on (drawn using Word Draw - which is not the best but is nice and easy) but on A3 size sheets. My printer is an HP Deskjet F300 A4 printer which then controls the maximum paper size in Word (the A3 option doesn't appear). The Schemes are actually emailed to my Head Office and printed off there so I don't need to print them, but I need to format the sheet to A3. In previous Windows versions I have got round this by simply adding another printer driver for an A3 printer (even though I don't have one), and the A3 option then appears in Word. But not with Win7 - no matter what I do I can't get the A3 sheet to show up. I have installed the driver for an HP 890c (wide format) printer but no go. Any ideas to get round this?

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

How about using 'File/Page setup/Paper/Custom' and inserting the paper size?

Like this post
jimforrest

Likes # 0

Thanks John - that certainly works but I have to do it every time for every A3 document. Is there no way I can kid Windows into thinking I have an A3 printer attached?

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Create your A3 blank .doc and save it as, say, "A3". When you open it to create a new document simply save the new document as a different name and you will always have your blank document.

Like this post
jimforrest

Likes # 0

Thanks again John - great idea.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

You're welcome.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

How to watch the Windows 9 launch event: no live video stream so catch our Windows 9 launch live...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK