We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Dual booting Vista 32 and W 7 64

roy
Resolved

Likes # 0

As an alternative to re-installing all my programmes etc. I have recently considered installing Windows 7.0 on one of my three harddrives. I understand that this is perfectly feasible, however, my main aim is to be able to address more ram, hence W 7.0 64 bit. Would Vista 32 still run happily with 8GB or more of memory in the mobo? The hd is 500 Gig.

Roy

Like this post
roy

Likes # 0

Thanks John. A lot of useful information there! I think that my peripherals will be ok (ie I can download drivers where necessary) but I didn't realise that some programmes would instal as or in 32 bit mode in a 64 bit OS. I should think that all mine will be 32 bit in that case.

Roy

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

roy. No problem- not all progammes are yet 64 bit ready. They still work fine on a W7 64 bit PC. For future proofing and more RAM, I think 64 bit is worth it but quite a few people still install only the 32 bit version. Do read other threads.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

roy

This link was originally posted by Chub_tor on an earlier thread :

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-choose-between-32-bit-64-bit-windows-7-operating-systems/

Like this post
roy

Likes # 0

John, I think I will invest soon in Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Full Version. I have considered yhe OEM version but think I will probably finish up with the retail version; see Amazon at £109.95. Thanks again for all your advice and help.

Roy

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Roy Thanks - good luck with it!

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do