We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cannot access bios or boot options after installing win8 CP

Jwbjnwolf
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi there.

I have seen/heard a lot of the talk about that after installing windows 8, you cannot install Linux.

I thought that would only be on new pcs that come with win8 preinstalled?

Anyway I have been using windows 8 basically since a few days after the dp was released and am a big fan of the Metro compared to the traditional desktop, (even on 27" screen on my iMac)

After installing the CP, I have noticed that I can no longer press F2 for bios or F12 for boot options.

It is an Acer aspire one 751h netbook

I am not worried about it but I just am curious if anyone else has had this with their computers?

As with my sisters Intel/Stone classmate touchscreen netbook, I can still access the bios etc.

So it's confusing. :/

Like this post
T0SH

Likes # 0

Bios access and any boot options, come very early in the boot up process way before any operating system regardless of flavour even starts to load

Cheers HC

Like this post
Jwbjnwolf

Likes # 0

yea so why can't I access it unless I do a restart? Or is it that windows 8 tricks my netbook into thinking it is in a hibernation state? If that is the case, then why didn't the same thing happen with my sisters netbook or with the DP? :/

Like this post
T0SH

Likes # 0

Check in the power options settings , that when you select to shutdown from the menu that the pc is set to enter standby or hybernation mode

Cheers HC

Like this post
Jwbjnwolf

Likes # 0

No it isn't. I have noticed now that you have to do a restart to see the options.

Any way I am not that worried, just thought if anyone else had this happen, which it seems lots have after a little more looking around.

:)

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

7 coolest 3D-printed objects: Body parts, houses, camera lenses and even pizza

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks