We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

First look at Win 8 con rev

woody

Likes # 0

I have uninstalled win 8 con rev and reinstalled it. It now loads a lot faster.I suggest a clean install - not upgrade from developer - is the way to go. My keyboard is also now working ok. For those that like to personalise their PC i think win 8 will be harder to master. On the other hand those that simply install a program and then use it will find it easier.

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

I agree fully with Woody comments. For me,the metro screen whilstit may look good installing any programs, does not add a single app, but several, for most users this will mean unpinning many items.With the win7 start menu it adds the program, with sub menus for each application. only those used are then added to the often used start list.

In an office almost all input is by keyboard. whilst watching an upright screen. Useing a keyboard screen. will not only cause more health problems, but slow down by a large amount of time.

I agree with Jwarn that when reading a book one has it on the desk or in ones hands. However this is exactly the point, one does not lay a moniter down to a working level. one sits and views it.So they are in fact answering in the negative there own argument.

For me the Metro may be ideal, in mobill phones, or hand held boys toys but for computing with a desktop with a screen, or even a laptop. without the option to switch to the well known enviroment. How many of the MILLIONS or users will pay for a new OS that removes this enviroment.

Its unknow how much this cost Microsofe, one only has to look a Windows answers ( the feedback portal for Win 8 ) To see the coments from instructors and companies.

For me without the option to switch it may be faster but is it workable, I feel no. It could well be the biggest flop dateing back to ME

Like this post
Jwbjnwolf

Likes # 0

There is no option to switch back? :/ oh! I understand why there is a lot of fuss. I would of thought there were still at least the RPEnabled in regedit to switch back. That is selfish Microsoft doing that!

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

To see what would happen, I have just installed Microsoft Flight Sim X. It installed and is running perfectly. There is a square thing on the screen to launch it, but I have no idea as to where on the drive it has installed itself.

Using IE 10 to browse this site (for example) produces another square thing on the screen. I don't want that, I want tabs.

Clicking on the PCA square thing fires up IE 10 together with all sorts of rubbish about "One Note" and "Sky Drive" and wanting me to sign in for something. GO AWAY!!

The more I use Win 8, the less I like it. I can't see it staying on this computer for more than a few days.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

Just tried the built in pinball game works OK but the solitaire game - when I move a card - keeps going back to metro screen. I use the extreme right hand screen for metro and find I could not use/reach the magic right hand corner if it was touch screen.

FE look forward to your overall comments. Here is something I can not understand. I use a "python" graphics on Vista&Win7 OS's - the graphic fills the screen. I use the same graphic on the same set up/screen at the same resolution and only two thirds of the graphic can be seen when I use win8!

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

woody your graphics may well be related to, and already answered here http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8?tab=all

As the site shows the biggest grip is disabling Metro. I still have it both on duel boot, and on a spare setup on which I first installed an Image of Win 7 Ult, then did an ungrade with the CP

This changed the 32 tidy items in the Win 7 to a compleat fill of the metro screen.

There is 3rd party software available to disable Metro, however I have not tryed it. If Microsoft is happy what they have done the decision will be made by end users as to buy or bypass.

My self I feel I would sooner revert even to ME than pay for W8 as it is

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

I have tried to use win8cp and not use other OS's for a few days. Win8CP is fast to load and very fast when i remove the two front screens - the picture (one screen) and the login/password (second screen). However i feel i have to find ways to "fight" the OS just to be as productive and to be able to enjoy using the pc as i did with win7. Before this test i was looking at touch screens but this has proved to me they are not for me - not on a pc. WIN8 will be ok for those that like limited use of their toys - hand held items.

WIN8 to succeed must have a simple system to chose a classic front end or the badly designed childlike current start screen.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

I have now switched off my win8 OS. There are many in depth reviews of the system which are well worth reading. It appears a little more than half the testers do not want/need the current front end. I will be very surprised if MS do not listen to us and allow us to pick the "Metro" or "other" at installation stage. It should also be taken into account that some of those that do not want the current front end are likely to be IT managers and therefore responsible for hundreds/thousands of units but the pro current front end speak for them self. Will the people that buy most OS,s purchase a unit knowing they will need a third party app just to make it suitable for the workplace? Just when some of us like the large monitors with multi screens some people want to reinvent the small screen!

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

I spent an afternoon cleaning off and reformatting a drive so that I could do a clean install. I didn't want dual boot and I have a motherboard that enables me to select boot drive anyway so it is easier to have the OS's on separate drives. I did a clean install of Win 8 so that I could assess it properly. It may well be that as I do not use a smart phone that I found it extremely difficult to get anywhere fast with the system. It did not seem at all intuitive to me, but again that may be because I have been using Windows since version 2 which was bundled with a CAD program that I needed a long time ago. This is the first time that I have experienced any problem changing to the next version of Windows. I shall persevere for a while but at the moment I am not at all optimistic that it will turn out to be the OS of choice for me unless there is an option for Classic menus.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...