We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

First look at Win 8 con rev

woody

Likes # 0

I have uninstalled win 8 con rev and reinstalled it. It now loads a lot faster.I suggest a clean install - not upgrade from developer - is the way to go. My keyboard is also now working ok. For those that like to personalise their PC i think win 8 will be harder to master. On the other hand those that simply install a program and then use it will find it easier.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

I have just installed it, dual booting with Win7.

It is certainly different!

I'm just finding my way round at the moment and using IE10 to write this. From what I can see IE10 is a lot faster than IE9, though a lot different.

I'll keep using it for a few days and then post back again.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

All the programs/hardware I have installed work ok. It is very stable but the more I use it the more I think the first screens are a waste of time! I would like to hear from anyone that does use a large >24inch screen as a touch screen on a regular basis. My doctors have a touch screen for patients to log in. It only has a few functions - male - female - time - very few actually use it.

Like this post
Jwbjnwolf

Likes # 0

our surgery uses it and it is so much quicker than going up to the desk as them at the desk are so busy.

Like this post
Jwbjnwolf

Likes # 0

and a lot get their little kids to do it which i think is lovely for them

Like this post
Jwbjnwolf

Likes # 0

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2010/08/the-mother-lode-welcome-to-the-imac-touch.html this is the only kind of touchscreen all in one computer I would use. one that will go down to a typing angle. This I think is how all these touchscreen all in ones should be.

Like this post
Jwbjnwolf

Likes # 0

...rather than like everyone thinks is annoying having to have your arm up all the time

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

Jwarn - In the real world away from toys we use/need screens upright in a reading position. We need to be able to apply data and read at the same time. Putting the screen in a near horizontal position to type would not allow us to do that also you would use valuable screen area for the keyboard picture! I can well understand children using the login at the docs - it is so dumb anyone can use it - that's the way its deliberately done. It is a bit different "touching" a screen two or three times a month in the docs than working at a screen earning wages. At one time shops had cash tills where they entered an amount of the item - then they found the staff could not cope so they put a small picture of a cup of tea for example. The other day my wife gave the shop staff 50pence in small change - the staff got to counting 30pence and gave up with the comment I think its right!! I see in a report this week that some education establishments are no longer teaching maths because they can not even get instructors that understand maths at a suitable level. I think this dumbing down is part of the problem with win8.

In the case of multi screen - removing the login takes you straight to the metro screen on one screen and desktop on another.

Like this post
Jwbjnwolf

Likes # 0

Im not saying you HAVE to. Im saying that with these touchscreen PCs, you should be ABLE to. and depending on the type of OS, you can do so much with a touchscreen. I haven't personally got a touchscreen pc but my sister has a touch screen netbook (well stylus) and can do so much with it. And Im not saying about businesses. Im saying about that it would be a great idea if all in one touchscreen pcs could do that, come down to a typing angle like apples patent has shown or down as much degree you want it till you reach the typing angle.

And anyway, what position do you have a book when your reading? you have it below you like you would with a tablet. OK I can see a 27" of it being mane a bit much but 24" I think would be lovely. I know I truly would love to have a touchscreen on my mac and have it lowered into a tablet reading typing position. As you don't have a book in a monitor position do you?

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

If you are talking about gamers - it is quite easy to have a screen at any angle you want it.All my screens have to be adjusted to suit my reading height and angle but i do not need MS to develop a program for me.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

My initial impression of this release is not particularly favourable. I'll use it for a while longer before passing further judgement.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia