We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Keyboard appears to repeat strokes.

Pine Man
Resolved

Likes # 0

For some time I have noticed that, when completing dialogue boxes, it would look as if a key had stuck and that letter/symbol would start to run across the box like thissssssssssssssss until I hit another key. This happened randomly and with different keys. I tried altering repeat rates etc but it made no difference.

Assuming it was the, wired, Microsoft Comfort keyboard I splashed out and bought a new Micosoft Arc wireless keyboard a month ago. Expensive but a lovely keyboard however, you guessed, the same problem!

Out of interest I wrote to Microsoft for help. They sent me a new keyboard and told me to throw the old one away!!!

Any ideas?

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Very puzzling indeed. Have you tried replacing your wired mouse with a usb one? A poster in one forum said this resolved it for him.

Have you tried totally disabling character repeat?

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

woolwell

I am using both IE and Firefox with the same result on both. In the past I used either noscript or yescript on Firefox to cure a Java problem which was resolved and the add on then removed. I might well try them again to see if it fixes this problem. I have just checked PCA, which used to be set for compatibility mode but no longer is so has been reset. Thanks for your prompt.

difarn My mouse is a USB wired mouse but connected through an adaptor to ps2 socket. Are you suggesting a wireless mouse or just connecting my existing mouse direct to USB.

Both

I have just typed the entire post without a single problem!

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

The poster who said he solved his problem was using a wireless mouse.

Encouraging that you have managed to type your last post without problem.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

I have installed yescript on Firefox and this is my first post.

I now know why I removed it. It's because it alters the appearance of the text box in that it removes the controls to change the fonts etc. Maybe it will also remove the desire to repeat key strokes! So far so good;-)

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Fingers crossed.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Thanks to all of you who have helped me out with this problem.

Dare I say it but by turning off java, in Firefox, for the PCA site I now no longer appear to be getting repeated keystrokes.

There is a down side to this in that I have no access to the editing facilities in the reply box such as fonts and links. The box that appears below it showing what you have typed no longer appears and I cannot click on the ticks to make them green to show I have resolved my problem!

I will now open up this site in Internet Explorer to tick this as, hopefully, resolved.

Like this post  
Pine Man

Likes # 0

...and here I am in Internet Explorer ticking the box and all facilities available.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Great news - glad it's resolved. Strange about having to turn off Java in Firefox for this site.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Having to turn off Java puzzles me. I haven't heard of anyone else having this problem and wonder if you have a corrupt java installed.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

It is updated regularly but it might be worth completely uninstalling it and starting from scratch. I'll see what happens.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'