We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Keyboard appears to repeat strokes.

Pine Man
Resolved

Likes # 0

For some time I have noticed that, when completing dialogue boxes, it would look as if a key had stuck and that letter/symbol would start to run across the box like thissssssssssssssss until I hit another key. This happened randomly and with different keys. I tried altering repeat rates etc but it made no difference.

Assuming it was the, wired, Microsoft Comfort keyboard I splashed out and bought a new Micosoft Arc wireless keyboard a month ago. Expensive but a lovely keyboard however, you guessed, the same problem!

Out of interest I wrote to Microsoft for help. They sent me a new keyboard and told me to throw the old one away!!!

Any ideas?

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

It's so random I can't really pin it down.

This post, so far, has been fine buuuuut often what will happen will be**

**Now that's interesting I was typing the above two lines and you can see what happened. I've left it exactly as it was.

Usually the letter that has decided to repeat carries on like thisssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss until you stop it by hitting backspace. That was deliberate!

The trouble is I could write loads of posts with no problems then two happen on the trot.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Clutching at straws here but have you tried shutting down the PC, removing the supply and holding the on/off switch in for a few seconds?

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

rdav

I'm starting to think that this may just be PCA Forum related. I've tried different browsers and it still happens BUT I can't actually remember it happening in other specific dialog boxes except PCA because, I suppose, I use that more often than others. I have spent a fair bit of time today inputting text into several other forums and not had a problem yet. Not that it means much as sometimes a day will pass without a problem in PCA. In fact nothing has happened whilst completing this post;-)

Regarding your advice, what does holding the on/off switch for a few seconds do?

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Well that was a bit odd

I did what you said and then booted up the PC. Normally the desktop screen opens up first and then I get the 'welcome to windows' fanfare.

Not this time - I got the fanfare and a black screen for several seconds before the desktop screen appeared.

Only time will tell if it effects the repeating keys problem, which hasn't occurred yet anyway :-))

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

When you remove the power supply and hold in the on/off switch it discharges the capacitors and gets rid of any build-up of static I'm told. Just thought it might be some kind of interference that causes it.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Just a thought - did you completely uninstall the other keyboards?

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Yup.

Thinking back I never had any problem with a Logitech ps2 wired keyboard.

My next one was a Microsoft Curved keyboard which was also ps2 wired and within weeks the problem started. I persevered for, maybe a year, trying all sorts of things and, naturally, assumed it was the keyboard so I splashed out and bought a Microsoft Arc wireless keyboard and the problem continued.

After asking Microsoft for help they also assumed it was the keyboard and told me to throw it away and accept a new one sent from Germany!

The rest is history:-(

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

This is very puzzling. There are a lot of unresolved posts on blogs about this problem and it is evident that Microsoft know about it. Some have found that one or other, or a combination of several, of the suggestions made have worked. Interesting that Microsoft immediately thought it was their keyboard - there are many posters who say they had made contact with Microsoft who said there was a patch forthcoming but nothing seems to have happened.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

I thought I'd give you an update as everything seems to have been ok for a couple of days - until I started this post:-((

Twice I have had to clear up the mess caused by repeats and one of them, unusually, was the space bar!

Since I first posted this problem I have been trying to replicate the issue on different forums and other places where text is required in a box on line and it has never done it. It's just PCA Forum. Nor has it ever done it in word processors, Outlook or any other programs requiring text.

One of the links provided by difarn suggested typing my text in a word processor then cutting and pasting it into the dialogue box. A bit long winded but might be worth doing.

Another thing I have considered is doing a basic Windows 7 install onto a spare HD and seeing how that behaves.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Since the keyboard(s) work fine with all other programs and other sites apart from PCA then we can rule out keyboard problems/drivers for it, etc. This would appear to be a problem between your browser and PCA. This could be due to add-ons or anti-virus, anti-malware, blocking ads, flash or java problems. I don't think that it is a windows snag.

I forget which browser you are using. If IE then try PCA in compatibility moce if not already in that mode. Run IE with no add-ons (found through programs- accessories) and see if the problem still occurs. Try Chrome and see if the problem happens.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback