We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Keyboard appears to repeat strokes.

Pine Man
Resolved

Likes # 0

For some time I have noticed that, when completing dialogue boxes, it would look as if a key had stuck and that letter/symbol would start to run across the box like thissssssssssssssss until I hit another key. This happened randomly and with different keys. I tried altering repeat rates etc but it made no difference.

Assuming it was the, wired, Microsoft Comfort keyboard I splashed out and bought a new Micosoft Arc wireless keyboard a month ago. Expensive but a lovely keyboard however, you guessed, the same problem!

Out of interest I wrote to Microsoft for help. They sent me a new keyboard and told me to throw the old one away!!!

Any ideas?

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Nope still the same problem BUT now I have two brand new Microsoft Arc keyboards:-))

I'll give the buffering a bash now.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Changing the buffering made no difference.

I'll leave this unresolved for a few more days to see if any other advice is forthcoming. If not I'll just have to learn to live with it.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Could try to see if the HID Service is set to automatic

To do this:

• Click start, click Control Panel.
  • Open Administrative Tools.
  • Open Services.
  • Find Human Interface Device Access
  • Right click it, and click Properties.
  • Put Startup Type on Automatic.
  • Under Service Status, click Start.
Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Just a thought, have you tried setting up Filter Keys under Ease of Access, and 'make the keyboard easier to use'. Select 'set up filter keys' then 'set up Repeat Keys and Slow keys'. Try 'how long do you want to hold down a key.......' setting at 0.0 seconds

Dot the radio button for 'slow down keyboard repeat rates', change the settings for both to 0.3 seconds. Test the setting in the box. If it doesn't help you can always turn off Filter Keys again.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

rdave

Thanks for your input but unfortunately I have tried it with no joy.

difarn

Was set to manual so changed it to auto and started it. No joy.

One thing that does spring to mind is that this only seems to happen in dialogue boxes, most notably PCA Forum, BUT I have never noticed it happen in my word processor or other computer programs that rely on text input.

Hmmmmm!

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Came across this article that suggests that there may be a patch for this occurrence - don't know if it will work in Windows 7 though.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Does it happen with all browsers or just the one? This could be a browser/add-on problem.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Woolwell

I am using Firefox with just an Adblock and a Dictionary Add On. I've no idea if the problem occurs with IE, for example, so I might use it for a day or so and see what happens.

difarn

Thanks for the link I'll check it out.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Well I've looked into the link provided by difarn and that didn't help. I've been using IE since I last posted and it worked a treat until a couple of minutes ago when I replied to another topic on this forum and it started repeating just like Firefox.

I am going to try a few posts in different forums that I subscribe to and see if it is just PCA or all of them.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Will be interesting to see what you come up with when you look at other forums. Do you know exactly the sequence of events that led up to the characters being repeated?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G2 release date, price and specs: Best budget smartphone gets upgrades

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer