We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Keyboard appears to repeat strokes.

Pine Man
Resolved

Likes # 0

For some time I have noticed that, when completing dialogue boxes, it would look as if a key had stuck and that letter/symbol would start to run across the box like thissssssssssssssss until I hit another key. This happened randomly and with different keys. I tried altering repeat rates etc but it made no difference.

Assuming it was the, wired, Microsoft Comfort keyboard I splashed out and bought a new Micosoft Arc wireless keyboard a month ago. Expensive but a lovely keyboard however, you guessed, the same problem!

Out of interest I wrote to Microsoft for help. They sent me a new keyboard and told me to throw the old one away!!!

Any ideas?

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Do you have a usb hub port? Have you tried putting the receiver for your wireless keyboard into a different usb port? Are all of your port drivers up to date? Are you using the windows generic driver for the keyboard? If so try installing the manufacturer's driver - or vice versa.

Do you have a wireless mouse? Are the batteries running low? There could be a conflict.

Do you have any cordless phones that could be causing interference?

If none of this helps have a look at this article on how someone solved their problem using a registry edit.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Thanks for your response.

It's nothing to do with USB - the first keyboard was ps2.

Both keyboards were tried with both generic and manufacturers drivers.

I have a wired mouse and the keyboard batteries are brand new.

Cordless phones are not causing interference.

Already tried the registry hack and Accessibility settings without joy.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Does this help?

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Have a look at this article from a Windows 7 Forum - have you looked at the buffering of your keyboard?

There is an interesting piece of advice lower down from Microsoft about changing your video driver to a standard VGA driver.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Thanks guys you both provided me with the same link:-))

I have tried the VGA driver bit but no joy. What is interesting about the link is that they only seem to have a problem with wireless keyboards. I had the same problem with a ps2 wired keyboard before changing to my wireless Microsoft Arc keyboard that does exactly the same. My new Arc keyboard has arrived from Microsoft so I may as well try that one as well;-)

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Sorry, the article I posted did contain some of the same advice at that in Woolwell's article but I was really referring to the advice from Microsoft in that article about the VGA driver.

I mean to attach this article about changing the buffering of your keyboard as opposed to changing repeat rate.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I thought I posted a different link Change keyboard settings which is for wired and wireless.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Woolwell

Sorry you are correct. I had several windows open and mistook the one from difarn as being from you. I have played with the settings earlier with no joy.

difarn

I am writing this with the new keyboard from Ms. It's ok at the moment and sometimes the fault doesn't occur for a day or two so I will leave things as they are for a while before trying the buffering.

I'll post back later with any results.

Thanks again to both of you for your advice so far.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

You're welcome - hope it resolves itself.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs UK: Is this the actual Note 4 - video

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...