We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 startup failure

David Woods
Resolved

Likes # 0

Windows 7 boots as normal to "Starting Windows" with MS icon but then goes blank. F8 and "Starting Windows normally" does not work. F8 into Boot Menu with a Windows 7 recovery disk in the drive reads it briefly but does not recognise it. If I can get beyond this stage I have a system image on a connected hard drive. Any suggestions?

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Sometimes the F8 is very sensitive - were you lightly tapping it after you had started the PC?

When you tried to run with the recovery disc did you..

Insert the cd/dvd in the cd/dvd drive.

Power OFF your computer.

Power On you computer.

Immediately start tapping the F12 key.

Like this post  
David Woods

Likes # 0

Thanks difarn for your suggestions. In fact I have now placed my Windows7 Repair Disk in the Primary optical drive instead of the slave one. As a result the disk has been read and Restore from System Image activated. After a couple of hours loading the system image my computer starts up normally. Shows how useful having a System Repair Disk and a System Image on a separate hard drive can be. Thanks again.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Glad you have it sorted.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'