We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

MSN Homepage unstable

pcforum007

Likes # 0

Hi everyone,

I have recently noticed the MSN homepage will overide at random any other website I am viewing.This is VERY annoying if I happen to be filling a form out, or buying something online. I must have sent at least 5 or 6 e-mails to MSN but have been totally ignored so-far. In fact whilst typing this it has already returned to homepage and I had to toggle back to continue writing!!!I am using a Dell inspiron pc with pre-loaded windows 7 and ie9. This has only started happening in the last month or so and I haven,t installed any new software to cause this. Can anyone help fix this problem.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Do you have MSN as your homepage? You could try changing this.

Go to your desired browser homepage, select Tools --> Internet Options --> General. Select "use current page."

Do you need MSN Explorer? There may be some kind of conflict between it and IE9.

Like this post
Ibanez2010

Likes # 0

Do you have any toolbars installed like MSN or Bing? Check your installed programs list. If so, uninstall them.

Like this post
pcforum007

Likes # 0

Hi Difarn,

I have had MSN as my homepage for some years now without problems, so what is suddenly causing this ?

Like this post
pcforum007

Likes # 0

Hi Ibanez 2010,

I have Bing as the search engine but up to now never had a problem. I wonder if I should delete all MSN data and start anew with another homepage and just go to MSN website for my e-mails. Can you recommend anything ?

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

I assume that you are using the version of IE9 optimised for Bing and MSN? There are quite a few articles about problems with this. Have a look at this article explaining how to get rid of your present version of IE9 - it will then roll back to the previous version - if that was IE8 then you can update it to IE9 if you want but choose the stand alone version, without the Bing Bar.

When you have done this you can still have MSN as your home page if you want.

This should remove the Bing Bar/MSN homepage - if not you will have to manually remove/change them.

If you are talking about Hotmail/Windows Live you don't have to go to MSN to access these. I just have a shortcut to Hotmail on my address bar.

Like this post
pcforum007

Likes # 0

Hi Difarn,

Thanks for the heads up. I will follow your info and hopefully this will resovle the issue.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Good luck.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV setup advice: Apple TV hacks to help you create the ultimate Apple TV hub in your home