We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Consumer Preview

sharpamat
Resolved

Likes # 0

It would seem from the windows 8 forums that an offical beta version will be realeased by microsoft on 29/02/12

This is to be named as the consumer preview, and differs from the developer preview ( already available )in many ways

Like this post
Jwbjnwolf

Likes # 0

Having shortcuts all over the desktop for me just is to busy looking. It takes me AGES to find what I'm looking for. maybe it would of been an idea if you could make the tiles that much smaller so that you can fit more stuff on the screen but for me I think it is almost perfect for my windows needs. I know you can make it look very tidy having shortcuts but it it still is much harder on my eye.

At least for me its easy on the eye, and with a touchpad I can quickly scroll quicker than with mouse.

I do think it is so annoying though that Microsoft have hidden the metro version of windows explorer which is only accessible via metro apps. I feel as so I want click on the word start to get to my documents without leaving explorer. I feel that this is going to be a big negative point for touch screens if it doesn't get somehow attached with the start screen. Also I think that having the charms menu down the bottom left was better for keyboard/mice.

Apart from that i love the metro and I should imagine that with third part software, it will be amazing. But I do agree that if windows 8 is going to be a HUGE success, then the traditional desktop/start menu should be left as an option, but with still the ability to access metro applications.

The only thing I use the task bar for now is for quick access to my college folder/work via toolbar, but that is all I need and want the task bar for. Other than that, it is just a pain which appears every time i move to the top of the screen.

But then again it is just personal preference all this stuff. I will get windows 8 because I love metro but if I liked the start menu more, then I wouldn't. So it is so MEAN taking away the option of using the traditional start menu.

Like this post
Jwbjnwolf

Likes # 0

On my mac though, I still prefer the launchpad where it is just icons, but I still prefer it to the start menu.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite