We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Consumer Preview

sharpamat
Resolved

Likes # 0

It would seem from the windows 8 forums that an offical beta version will be realeased by microsoft on 29/02/12

This is to be named as the consumer preview, and differs from the developer preview ( already available )in many ways

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

Unlike woody No Problems with downloading, or installing I used a clean install and duel booted. no problems with drivers both mouse and keyboard working fine. did not do much more after that, but inital impression was that l dont feel for PC Users it is going to be a simple to use OS

At least it has now got an on/off switch, and a menu which shows everything available. This seems to again be nothing like present users are used to.

I will look later today

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

My inital thoughts are that for PC users the DP was a better option than the CP. I agree its far slower than Visa was. I do not feel that the changes from DP make it better.So without many changes Win 7 may well stay

Like the DP it cannot be uninstalled so advise caution to those installing in. The only options people will have is a complete restore.

Where as in the DP you could alter the values in the registry to disable Metro it seems microsoft have blocked this. Up to now ( even on Win 8 CP forums ) many have tried but none have come up with a way to do it.

Even with a touch screen it seems many items inc power switch can only be used with a mouse.

Like this post
Jwbjnwolf

Likes # 0

I love Metro! Find it so much more convenient to use than the desktop.

I think it is amazing how fast it boots on a netbook (being 1 1/4x faster and 2x as fast login)

I find metro so more convenient.

I find that the no longer start button is a lovely touch to the taskbar as it just was in the way anyway as I just have it tucked away up the top of the screen on auto hide.

I get what some say about the Metro that it is more for touchscreen but I think with just a few touchscreen multitouch gestures, people would love it (or at least mac lovers who have to use windows like me)

E.g: three finger swipe on the touchpad to reveal the start screen

I'd love windows to suddenly get spaces like mac so you can just swipe between your program's,

Then with the web browsers do what macs do with safari, swipe back and for pages.

On the start screen, on the word start, I feel it should be a button to go to other places like pictures folder, documents folder without the need of leaving Metro.

Without a button there for a drop down menu it just makes the start screen feel empty.

Why is the metro version of windows explorer hidden away? Its driving me nuts having to leave metro to use the desktop windows explorer.

I love Metro and already I would be happy to buy it of it was final release but I would prefer to Stay metro rather than seeing the desktop reminding me its windows other than those few things that are not metro apps.

Overall I think the win8 cp is a vast improvement over the dp, especially that you are able to name the groups.

Ok it has changed so much, but I love the change and I'm sure there are a lot of mac/iOS users that have to use windows also like the change but would agree with the idea of gestures and spaces.

As really the start screen is no more of a change than what the launchpad is on lion.

I hated the start menu and just love the start screen. I think it is much easier on the eye (well my eyes anyway) especially on a netbook.

And I love it to using it on my mac 27".

It's the best windows yet in my opinion and that is very good me thinking so seeing that win7 couldn't win me over from xp.

Like this post
timgunn64

Likes # 0

I've been playing with Win 8 for a few days, i have a old laptop, and i have tried many different OSs (even Linux) and none of them come close to the speed of Win 8, every component every app i use runs in Win 8, my only worry is i wont be able to afford Win 8 when it comes out. All of you who complains about the stsrt interface nees to relize its 2012, things change!!

Like this post
timgunn64

Likes # 0

sorry for the spelling mistakes

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

I cannot say I was impressed with the speed of CP the DP was faster. the more you put on the slower it gets.

The start menu is I agree a personal choice, Many millons of users worlwide have become used to it.If it is not broke dont fix it, is still the mainstay in computing.If you look on any forums ( including microsoft Win 8 CP ) you will find the same answer again and again, regarding replacing the start menu with metro. Mac users love it others in the majority dont.

As for cost in its present form I would not buy without the built in option to choose either desktop or metro

Like this post
Jwbjnwolf

Likes # 0

I think it also depends on peoples hardware. Now the DP blew my head off how fast it was on my netbook starting up but then the CP takes off and extra few seconds! the login with the DP took about 10 seconds so I always used hibernate, but with the CP it is 4 seconds if not less logging in.

HAHA that is obviously one thing in common with all us mac users. ;) just like me LOVE Metro. I hated the traditional task bar start menu, as it took me AGES to find what I was looking for but with the Metro Start screen, Everything is in one place.

I love everything in fullscreen and ok ok windows has had full screen a lot longer than mac, but Metro is really the start of Microsoft getting it right.

I love how Apple has done fullscreen as at least you can still access basically all the functions without having to come out of fullscreen unlike what I have had to do with windows a lot when I try using the fullscreen.

Which I love the Metro fullscreen interface on my iMac 27".

Now I do not know about how much of ann improvement the CP is starting up in bootcamp to the DP, but what I do know is that in parallels desktop, the DP was taking as long as xp did to boot up in parallels, but the CP is just as fast starting up as on my netbook.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

"..... but with the Metro Start screen, Everything is in one place."

You are, of course, joking.

Like this post
Jwbjnwolf

Likes # 0

Ok, maybe not completely but you can make everything all in one place. Ok I can see having 100s upon 100s of applications, it is going to be a big annoyance, but at least you can hide away everything else that you are not using.

With the start menu, you could only have a few apps launchers pinned to the start menu before it looked busy, but with the start screen, you can group all your most used apps onto the stat screen which is immediately accessible as soon as your logged in.

Ok I cannot say opinion for everyone but an opinion is an opinion. And my opinion is that how the start screen is is brilliant.

As long as Microsoft buck up their ideas about removing the traditional environment, and put it back as an option, then what will there be to moan about? But at the moment I can understand why you all are mad about windows 8. I was so annoyed when Microsoft took away the classic menu.

But then I wasn't with windows 7 long before I was back with good trusty classic xp.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

I know that with Win 7 most people like a plain, neat desktop.

I don't. Every programme I have (and there are many) has a shortcut on my desktop. It looks very cluttered, but everything is organised into groups of small icons depending on their use (music, photos and video, etc.). I have also enabled "one click" open.

This means that every programme I have is available on my desktop and takes just one click to open it. How exactly does Win 8 improve on that?

It's a modern mess!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G2 release date, price and specs: Best budget smartphone gets upgrades

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer