We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Consumer Preview

sharpamat
Resolved

Likes # 0

It would seem from the windows 8 forums that an offical beta version will be realeased by microsoft on 29/02/12

This is to be named as the consumer preview, and differs from the developer preview ( already available )in many ways

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

see my post at the end of this thread

As you say, the Consumer preview version will be launched in Spain on 29th of this month. It will look substantially different to the developer beta that many people have tried (thank goodness).

My own view is that desktop and laptop users will be underwhelmed. Windows 8 is aimed very much at the touch-screen market sector, and to most people that means hand-held devices.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

Hopefully, there will be a quick and easy way to switch permantly to a "normal" desktop for computer users, leaving the "Kiddies" screen to the mobile users.

Like this post  
BurrWalnut

Likes # 0

To change back to the older style Start menu from the Metro UI, open regedit, navigate to HKEYCURRENTUSER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer. In the right pane, right-click RPEnabled and Modify its value from 1 (one) to 0 (zero).

It is, of course reversible.

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

sorry BurrWalnut that was with the deleloper preview

its unknown as yet what the Beta will be like or have

Like this post
Matt Egan

Likes # 0

It better launch on the 29th at MWC... or we'll have wasted money sending an editor there! You'll read it all here first.

Like this post
pixelpusher

Likes # 0

Hi All, really looking forward to trying out windows * when released, think Microsoft are now trying to catch up with the rest of the Internet when it comes to feature and tools end users are wanting to use and expect from todays computers/online world.

Like this post
Input Overload

Likes # 0

pixelpusher - Such as?

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

pixelpusher. cannot agree with your views as Microsoft are not trying to catch up, they are the leader in their field.

It has been announced the Consumer preview ( Beta ) of Windows 8 will be realeased today in Spain at 1500 ( thats 1400 our time ) afer that it should be available to Download

Like this post
iambeavis

Likes # 0

Available now - windows-8 iso

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

Downloaded the consumer preview ok but it would not load. It got so far then stated"an unknown error" and reversed the pc back to the way it was. I then tried downloading the iso and loading it from that. It loaded but the keyboard which worked perfectly under "devel preview" did not work properly. There are some changes to win8 from devel prev but as my keyboard does not work I soon gave up. The devel prev was quick to load/startup but this consumer review is slower than vista.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes