We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Acronis True Image 2012

johndrew
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have used ATI 9 happily for years with my XP PC but having now moved to W7 Pr0 x64bit I need to upgrade ATI for a newer model.

Having researched ATI 2012 a bit, I have found a fairly large number of less than happy users; some examples are:

enter link description here

enter link description here

from the Acronis site - there are more - and from Amazon a mixed bag.

I know there are users on this site and would ask for their experiences of using the later versions (2010/2011/2012) of the ATI software as a little help may save a lot of frustration.

With thanks in anticipation.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

mgmcc

I had a single copy of 2011 on both computers but when I updated to 2012 it would only allow installation on one computer so I have 2011 on the lap top and 2012 on the PC.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

John Drew

I am getting to the point where I don't actually think it's doing anything.

I have actually set up a non stop back up and let it run. I then get the options to stop/delete it, which suggests that until I set it up it wasn't running.

In addition I have checked out the events on the log and the times that the back up starts and finishes coincide exactly with the times I switch my PC on and off.

Also, bearing in mind all my full back ups are to an external drive, which is switched off unless in use for back ups, I have checked my entire C drive and can find no evidence of any ATI files.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

John Drew

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools\services shows Acronis non stop back ups started and set to automatic. So is Acronis Schedule. I have stopped both and set them to manual. I will clear the event log in Acronis and monitor the situation.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Whoops turned scheduling back on again. It didn't like that!

Going to get some lunch now and a G&T!!

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

That seems to have resolved things.

Clearly Acronis is programmed to run non stop back up when you boot your PC. If it has not been set up it won't actually do anything except merely stop when your PC is turned off.

You don't appear to be able to stop it doing this unless you alter the settings for Acronis Non Stop Back Up in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools\Services to 'manual' rather than 'automatic'.

I have done this and turned my PC on and off several times and no more entries appear in the Acronis log.

Like this post  
johndrew

Likes # 0

Pine Man

I'm glad it's not just me!!

I use an external drive for my backups as well so there should be no reason for this function to keep being a proverbial pain and not stopping or having the facility to be stopped.

I also looked into the "re-ticking" you mentioned and that also does the same to me.

I downloaded the full manual from the CD and looked for the method of turning off nonstop backup but it is the same as in the helpfile. I also searched the Acronis site for a fix but can find nothing. When (if) their Support gets back online I shall hit them with the question - but I only have another 28 days of free help left!!!

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

John Drew

Please post their reply - if you get one.

If you hadn't raised the issue I would never have known but it certainly hasn't put me off. I still think it's a lot more reliable than System Restore and very useful if you just want to dig into your back up and find a file that you've lost or messed up.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

I have turned nonstop backup off in Control Panel - it really shouldn't need that.

The Support site is still down but I have sent an e-mail which may elicit a response. As and when/if I get a response I shall post it.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

I finally managed to send a message to Acronis today so hope to have a response within the next few days.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Whilst I'm waiting for Acronis to respond on the original subject, is there any method of turning off the automatic update checker?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes