We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows Live Essentials - Movie Maker problem

kwil2

Likes # 0

Hi... I'm relatively new to Win 7 Home Premium (64-bit) and have just discovered it doesn't include Windows Movie Maker which was on XP. However, I noticed online Windows Movie Maker 2.6 is supposed to work with the above. It downloaded fine but when I went into 'All Programs' and clicked on Windows Movie Maker, nothing happened. I noticed also the icon next to it was a blank one and not a 'Windows' one. Checking Add/Remove (I actually use Revo) the program was definitely installed. Nevertheless, I uninstalled then reinstalled. No joy. I then uninstalled it completely. I then noticed Windows Live Essentials contains Movie Maker. I selected only the 'Photo Gallery & Movie Maker' from the list and downloaded. However, the same thing happened as with Windows Movie Maker 2.6. Also, same blank icon. I must be missing something simple here. Can anyone help? Many thanks

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Could be a general problem with the icon cache database. Try this.....

Close all folder windows that are currently open.

Launch Task Manager using the CTRL+SHIFT+ESC key sequence, or by running taskmgr.exe.

In the Process tab, right-click on the Explorer.exe process and select End Process.

Click the End process button when asked for confirmation.

From the File menu of Task Manager, select New Task (Run…) Type CMD.EXE, and click OK

In the Command Prompt window, type the commands one by one and press ENTER after each command: Make sure you leave the spaces.

CD /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local

DEL IconCache.db /a

EXIT

In Task Manager, click File, select New Task (Run…)

Type EXPLORER.EXE, and click OK.

Like this post
awest3

Likes # 0

I also used movie maker successfully on XP. Could not get it to work properly for W7. The latest version was just not the same, they'd messed about with it until it was almost unrecognisable. I switched to Power director and am very happy with it.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Try this one WMM6 with installer from the author, 4th one down. Or from Softpedia (same program)

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I also have W7 64 bit. I have just started to use Windows Live Movie Maker - not Windows Movie Maker. To get it, as it was not installed by default, I typed "Getting Started" in the Start dialog box and then Windows Live Essentials, but only downloaded and installed the Photo Gallery (which I do not really need) and the Windows Live Movie maker. I have another thread on this and am just in the process of, I think successfully, using WLMM to edit the adverts out of a TV programme recorded in Media Centre edition.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen