We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Administrator but insufficient rights

johndrew
Resolved

Likes # 0

I am running W7 Pro as a sole user with full Administrators rights on a new PC.

I have been installing software such as Word 2002, my scanner and similar but hit a problem when attempting to install Pinnacle Studio Plus 9 when I received the message that I need Administrators rights to install software when I put the CD into the drive.

I know that Pinnacle Studio Plus 9 is identified as being for up to XP; could this be the reason for the message? I am unsure as to whether XP Mode has been enabled as yet but am aware that W7 Pro has this facility.

With thanks in anticipation.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

It appears from this article that this is not compatible for Windows 7 - there is a link to the Pinnacle side who appear to be offering an upgrade.

Here is a link to Microsoft explaining how to try it in compatability mode.

Like this post  
johndrew

Likes # 0

Many thanks for the response and information.

I guessed that it would be down to compatibility but it is the first time I have seen the "Administrators rights to install software" message. I have never seen it before even with software designed for W2000; the CDs simply loaded and ran.

I guess I should enable XP Mode and try again. If that fails then I will try the compatibility mode in your link. My final option is finding a lot of money for the new version/upgrade currently around £60 - ouch!!

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

You're welcome - this message is very common in Windows 7 and can usually be fixed, if the programme is compatible, by right-clicking on the icon for the particular applications and programmes and choosing "Run as Administrator". It can appear even if the programme is not incompatible as a security measure.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

An update on installation of Pinnacle Studio Plus 9.

It will install in Compatibility Mode but failed to run. There is obviously a major incompatibility in the software; possibly within the third party extras.

It will install within XP Mode on the Virtual PC (if you have W7 Pro or above; fortunately I have). Failing that an update is necessary and is quite expensive.

The installation in XP Mode is time consuming, but all keys function correctly to permit full operation of the purchased elements.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Thanks for the update - fortuitous that you have W7 Pro or above and can run XP mode on the Virtual PC. Hope all goes well.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 release date, new features and compatibility: Free to download from 6pm

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?