We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How to remove scamware

Chitterlow

Likes # 0

A few days ago an annoying window appears both in firefox and Internet explorer as soon as they are opened. As it jazzes up and down in a most annoying way, it is telling me that I am today's winner of an Iphone. Clicking on the x button or the "no" button doesn't close the window, instead it tries to take you to a site called "prizegivaway.org" which fortunately my security program blocks. How can I get rid of this? Where does the initializing software reside?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

First try this:

Clear all your Cookies and delete your browsing history and tick the box 'Stop popup windows'. Close your browsers and shut your pc down and reboot.

Post back if you need more help.

What antivirus program and antimalware/spyware do you have on pc? Do full scans with them to check for any problems.

Download and install SpywareBlaster from one of the links on this page

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/sbdownload_free.html

it will not conflict with any of your other programs, it is free you just have to do manual updates of it's database. All you need do is each week check for updates manually. This will stop most malware/spyware from being able to invade your pc in the first place (it is not a replacement for your other antivirus anti malware/spyware progs)

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

This page http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html tells you more about Free SpywareBlaster, a lot of us on pca forum use the program.

Like this post
slatwater

Likes # 0

It is a scam popup window,use prize to deceive people,right, very annoying, try some tech steps to avoid and remove this annoyance.

Like this post
Chitterlow

Likes # 0

I've solved this problem now. The offending pop up seems to resided in Incredimail's "My Start" page, which Incredimail does it's best to make your home page. Because of this I've now uninstalled Incredimail, and to make sure I've got rid of it I've re-installed Windows. A shame about Incredimail as I used to be very fond of it and never had any problem before.

Thanks to all you good people out there who have tried to help me.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Wonder if it is related to http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/16/speakers-corner/4118552/i-have-just-won-a-iphone-4s-/ advert.

It's been removed from PCA now (should not have been allowed) but pca would not be the only website that they had their scam advert on.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?