We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Downloading Problem

jayatissa

Likes # 0

I faced a problem of downloading a file from a web link using a computer running on Win 7. When the link was selected and click it goes to the relavant file and the download button appears. But when you press the download button normally it should get a option line showing whether to save open or cancel. but in this computer when the download button presses it shows an arrow for few seconds and revert back to page without showing the download options. I anticipate experts advice to resolve this. I tried to down load a file sent by a friend of mine via Mediafire. It works in other computers without any difficulty but not in this particular computer with win 7.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

I assume that the download has worked but has been put into a general downloads folder? This happens in Firefox but you can enable an "always ask me where to save files" option.

If you are using IE9 this was changed because it was felt that when users clicked on "save" that the content of the download was just dumped into a general folder. Instead they introduced the ability to right click on the download and click "save as" so that you could take control of the download and where you wanted to put it. The attached article is interesting as you will see many users have queried this function.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad