We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Apacer external hard drive

plam
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hello,

I have an Apacer AC202 500GB external HD. As in one point of time my drive stop working properly I decided to reformatted. I follow up the steps on the tutorial but not along after the formatting process start its seems that the HD follow asleep and a message ” formatting cannot be complete ” pop up. If I do a quick format there isnt any problem and the HD is ready for a use in a seconds but Im sure that Ive got some bad sectors and Im afraid that the quick format will not fix them. I hope that someone could give me an advise of what to do. By the way my laptop is using windows 7 as OS.

Thanks Pam

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I had a problem with an external HD where I had accidently dropped it and in the end I could not fix it. Have you, by any chance, dropped it? If not, I would try running a defrag using either the windows 7 one or, preferably, Auslogics free one. If there are only a few bad sectors maybe you can ignore them.

http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/download/

Like this post
plam

Likes # 0

Thanks for your reply. I dont remember dropping it. What you suggest to do the quick formatting and then to do a defrag on it? Is this will fix the bad sector? When it was 80% full with movies and files after I was connecting it with the laptop always pop ups the scan window which wanted me to do a scan to the drive for fixing bad sectors and each time when I was starting couldnt really completed it as the drive was becoming non responding that's why I'm trying to formatted now.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Windows comes with a built-in hard disk utility software that scans your hard disk for errors and attempts to fix them. 1.On My Computer, select the disk drive that you want to diagnose and repair. 2.Right click on it and select Properties 3.Go to Tools tab. 4.Click on the "Check Now" button under "Error Checking Status". 5.Depending up on your choice, choose either "Automatically fix file system errors" or "Scan for and Attempt Recovery of Bad Sectors." 6.Then click on Start.

Like this post  
plam

Likes # 0

Hi,

I follow your instruction and it work! I could preform the scan without no problems as before at the moment the scan started, after not much of time, the drive was not responding. Thanks

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad