We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Vista SP2 wont accept auto updates

pcdimwit

Likes # 0

Hi, I hope I am posting in the right forum? I have had a problem on and off with updates not being uploaded, I have turned off the UAC control, set the automatic updates in control panel for different times and restarted laptop (an acer with windows vista SP2) but there is always 1 update that keeps appearing on the little shield in the start menu, soon after I start up. I dont know what to do - HELP?? PCDIMWIT

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

I wonder if you want to try changing the Windows Update settings from automatic downloads to “Inform me of available updates and let me choose what to download and install” - you may well get another notification and the option to download directly from Microsoft instead of them being automatically loaded onto your PC.

• re deleting the update this can be done by going to add/remove programmes and clicking on show updates and searching in the list.
Like this post
pcdimwit

Likes # 0

OK, where is "add/remove programmes" in the start menu? is it in control panel? I will try the option for "inform me of available updates....." and set it for this, does that mean that the update will show in the task bar at the bottom of the page?? thanks PCDMIWIT

Like this post
pcdimwit

Likes # 0

I cant figure out where this "add/remove programmes" is, in the programmes & features icon in the control panel brings up a whole list of programmes with "uninstall/install" but I cant find anything for updates, is it somewhere else?? you also have to turn off the UAC to alter/remove the programmes in this list, its more going round and round and round in circles. PCDIMWIT

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Add/Remove: Control Panel - Programmes/Add, Remove/ Programmes and Features - option in left hand panel to view updates.

You shouldn't have to turn off UAC to remove any programmes in the list - is there an option to do this as Administrator?

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

About the updates - you will get a notification on your task bar at the bottom of your desktop.

Like this post
pcdimwit

Likes # 0

Right, nothing has come through yet on the task bar for updates, I have had a look in programmes and features in Control panel and seen the "install/remove a programme" page, there are LOTS of heading for Microsoft NET. frameworks, M.soft, silverlight, MS Windows, MS Word, MS.Office XP professional with front page, (but this is a vista OS)., MS office home & student, NET framework 4, and at the top MS NET framework 1.1 (1033) (1) - which says it was installed on 15-10-2011. Do I delete this Net. Framework 1 ?? and will that stop the updates for this framework from coming in?? - Also I dont have MS office & student programme on this computer? thanks PCDIMWIT

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

If it says it was installed in October, and that is the only entry then I would delete it. If an application on your PC need sit to run then you will get a message.

Did you have any Office product pre-loaded when you purchased the PC - Office Starter for example? If so then the update will be in response to this. This will have been an automatic download - If you are certain you don't have any form of MS Office whatsoever then you can delete this - you will in future of course only have to download what you want when you get the notifications - it differentiates between critical and optional.

Like this post
pcdimwit

Likes # 0

Well, there was a 6 month trial I think with the Microsoft office (or a one month trial) but I have only the Open office free WP programme and a copy of a Word 95 which i installed myself on this laptop, so I know there is no "MS Home & student Office 2007" on this computer, there is also in the Installed updates a para heading for MS Office file validation add-in, and the last update for that was 0n 22/09/11 - shall I delete that too? I guess I should leave alone the "MS Windows" which has lots of updates added up to yesterday and the "MS Silverlight" programme?? thanks PCDIMWIT - I think there was also a Norton trial included on this computer when it was new but that programme has been totally deleted after it expired.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

I think that you may have to find an uninstaller to uninstall the MS Office updates so I would be inclined to leave well alone at the moment. Should you get any further updates for it don't download them.

Yes leave the MS Windows alone, and Silverlight is required for some web pages.

All that remains now is to see how it runs.

Like this post
pcdimwit

Likes # 0

so I only remove the Net.framework 1 - ??? thanks PCDIMWIT

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Get bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this Black...

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Advanced tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert - 5 new tips added