We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Vista SP2 wont accept auto updates

pcdimwit

Likes # 0

Hi, I hope I am posting in the right forum? I have had a problem on and off with updates not being uploaded, I have turned off the UAC control, set the automatic updates in control panel for different times and restarted laptop (an acer with windows vista SP2) but there is always 1 update that keeps appearing on the little shield in the start menu, soon after I start up. I dont know what to do - HELP?? PCDIMWIT

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Now I see the problem. You are not alone - just been reading blogs from many people. It is a recognised "glitch".

Here is the download link for the Windows "Fix it" tool and Repair Instructions should the fix not work. This is the official Microsoft Support site. Hope you are able to locate this in Holland.

Will keep my fingers crossed on this one for you.

Should none of this work the remaining suggestion is to delete all of the .net framework and reinstall (a bit tedious).

Like this post
pcdimwit

Likes # 0

I have just come back and logged on, there is STILL a little shield showing for an update, so that means that the Microsoft link to the "fix-it" programme which I downloaded (after tuning off the damned UAC control) now still doesnt fix the problem, Honestly I am HEARTILY sick to death of this f**King computer, I really dont fandy going through chainging all the Framework.NET thing, I think I will just let it carry on like this because I can see endless problems here and I suspect it will NEVER be fully eradicated. PCDIMWIT

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

I can understand this - I have one last suggestion I have just found in a blog here This is the link.....

Install this Microsoft Fix for .NET framework 1.1

Like this post
pcdimwit

Likes # 0

Hi, OK thanks for that .NET framework 4 link, funnily enough a Dutch friend of mine who is a computer "wizard" told me all the same, he said that installing this Net.framework4 is the only way to stop it BUT he said, you have to de-install all the previous Net.Framework's, I'm not sure if installing this .NET Framework 4 will eradicate all the previous "frameworks"? I have installed it now and next time I log off and re-start I will see what happens, this dutch firend of mine said that even if you just install NET.framework 4, it can still be linked to the previous frameworks that were installed. As I am just a "rank amateur" with little understanding of all this, I really just want a proper "solution" that will fix these problems, I think thats what these computer manufacturers should be doing FOR EVERYONE and ALL of the products it designs and makes, its all a bit scary for a "rank amateur" like me!!! Thanks PCDIMWIT

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Glad to help - will keep my fingers crossed. It never surprises me how the same updates, software, programmes etc. on the same operating systems all seem to assume their own personalities and peculiarities - a lot without, seemingly, justification. I agree that PC manufacturers seem only to be concerned with you buying the hardware and the rest is up to you - what is annoying is the built-in obsolescence of installed programmes and hardware when you move on to another version of the operating system. Although I really like Windows 7, it is rather taxing sometimes to find a way around the compatability issues.

Again, fingers crossed.

Like this post
pcdimwit

Likes # 0

Hi, Well, I have downloaded this Net.framework 4, it shows on the windows updates in control panel as being installed BUT there is STILL the little shield appearing at the bottom of the start menu for a single update, I have checked on the update list and its STILL the update for the SP1 thing, so it looks like the Dutch friend is right, in that downloading the Net.framwork4 still DOESNT eradicate all the previous NET.Framework's and they must be all connected somehow, This is obviously a windows problem and I cant see why they cant just fix it properly. well thanks for your help, I guess I will just have to live with it. PCDIMWIT.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

There is one final recommendation - another .NET framework link but this time a redistributable package which is supposed to include everything you need to run applications on the.NET framework -here - if you feel like doing it.

Can you by any chance delete the update for .NET framework 1.1?

Like this post
pcdimwit

Likes # 0

how do I delete the update for net.framework 1? Dont know how to do that. I will look at this link you just sent and see what I have to do there......, PCDIMWIT

Like this post
pcdimwit

Likes # 0

Well, I have downloaded from that link the NET.framework.1. but not sure what will happen when I log off and restart, will let you know, thanks PCDIMWIT

Like this post
pcdimwit

Likes # 0

Just restarted after that Net.Framework 1 download and its STILL showing the same update - its UNBELIEVABLE how bad this system is!!! PCDIMWIT

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......