We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Vista SP2 wont accept auto updates

pcdimwit

Likes # 0

Hi, I hope I am posting in the right forum? I have had a problem on and off with updates not being uploaded, I have turned off the UAC control, set the automatic updates in control panel for different times and restarted laptop (an acer with windows vista SP2) but there is always 1 update that keeps appearing on the little shield in the start menu, soon after I start up. I dont know what to do - HELP?? PCDIMWIT

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

I'm not sure why you have turned off the UAC as this could possibly open up your PC to malicious malware. Is it because you have not been able to give permissions or were you trying out a fix using a registry fix?

Have you had a go at running the Windows fix-it tool?

Like this post
pcdimwit

Likes # 0

Hi, thanks for that, YES, I turned off the UAC control because after altering the times for the automatic updates in control panel I didnt get the "permission window" appearing, so I turned the UAC off and then the permission window came up, then I put the UAC back on, my AVAST virus scan says there are no suspicious alerts, I am only running AVAST and no other virus scanner, no MSE, I think the 1 download that the computer wont accept is for an update to a microsoft office mail programme, but I dont have microsoft office on this laptop at all (only an old version of Word) and free "open office" word processor. I really dont understand this, also is that a direct link to the windows fix-it tool you sent? I am in Holland at present and get a dutch version for a free registry scan - I dont think this is the right one. Can you send a link that is a safe link? thanks PCDIMWIT

Like this post
pcdimwit

Likes # 0

PS: I have just tried the fix-it download from this link:- http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/
It has run the scan and tells me that there are two issues that have been fixed, I will log off and see if it does install the updates now and see what happens next time I log on, will let you know, PCDIMWIT

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Yes that is the tool I sent the link for - hope it works for you. As fa as permissions, if you have the UAC on does it not give you the choice to proceed as Administrator? If not then have a look at this article about enabling administrator account - it is a secure site. When this is installed you should then get the option to "run as administrator".

Like this post
pcdimwit

Likes # 0

Hi Difarn, I have just run the windows fix-it tool from the microsoft's own site, and it said that it has fixed 2 issues with the updates programme, BUT, I have logged off and logged on again an hour later and it is STILL showing a little shield in the start menu a few minutes after I have logged on!! I just dont understand it, I have looked at the nature of the downloads that it wants to download and one is for Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows Server 2008 x86 (KB2656353)

Download size: 15.0 MB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Important

A security issue has been identified that could allow an unauthenticated remote attacker to compromise your system and gain control over it. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this update, you may have to restart your system.

More information: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=237375

Help and Support: http://support.microsoft.com

and the other is for the 2007 microsoft office suite (which I dont have installed on this laptop)

I just dont know what to do now, PCDIMWIT

Like this post
pcdimwit

Likes # 0

PS, Yes, now I have the UAC on, it does bring up a window asking for permission to proceed, as I have just reset the auto updates to a different time, just at 3pm but its still not installed that update showing as the little shield in the start menu, this laptop has ALWAYS been a problem with these auto updates. Is it safe to keep using it like this?? PCDIMWIT

Like this post
pcdimwit

Likes # 0

that Geek link for how to enable the adminstrator account doesnt say ANWHERE how you do this,i.e. WHERE do you click in the start menu to open the windows it goes on to show, Honestly these things are so bloody complicated, its no wonder people DESPISE computers!! why dont they EXPLAIN properly how to do these things?? thanks PCDIMWIT

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

You can do this on your desktop - click on the shift key and hold it down and then right click - you will get a box with the option to "open commend window here"- you should see run as administrator - it it then throws up the black box you type the command in there at the end of any text.

The warning about security may have been because of the UAC.

Have you been into Windows Updates and tried to install the important ones manually?

Start - all programmes - Windows Updates -

You could of course disable auto updates which means you will be notified when updates are available and you can authorise them to go ahead or go into Windows updates and click on them individually.

Like this post
pcdimwit

Likes # 0

Yes, I have tried to install the update manually, I think that is how I came to turn off the UAC, because it starts to download the update but then half wasy through I get a red banner in the box and a message that says download failed error code 643, but in the blue text to click on to fix the error it just comes up with a list of 28 options from windows, honestly its a real pain in the a**e this bloddy computer shit, you just go round and round and round in circles!!! PCDIMWIT

Like this post
pcdimwit

Likes # 0

I have just checked the system properties on this computer and it says it is Vista OS with Service pack 2 - do you think this is the reason that the update that keeps appearing and says that it is a "security update for Microsoft.NET framework SP1 for service pack 1...." that this is the reason it wont install?, because I am running service pack 2? I guess if this IS the reason the update for SP1 wont install I will still be getting other updates for the Service pack 2? as these are compatible with the service pack that is running on this laptop's system?? what do you think? PCDIMWIT

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Swatch to release its own line of smartwatches to rival iWatch

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September