We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

High memory usage

Peants68

Likes # 0

I am running Win 7 64bit and have 16GB of DDR3 ram. However I receive messages my IE is using high memory.

What does this mean and how do I cure it?

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

This is a feature of your anti virus programme which keeps a record of average usage and then warns the user if this increases.

This can happen because you have a lot of tabs open at the same time. It can also be because you have a lot of add-ons. It maybe because you have downloaded large images. When you get this message try closing down any browsers - this should help.

It is not necessarily anything to worry about - just your anti virus doing it's job. It is normal for some programmes, particularly browsers, to occasionally require more system resources.

Only if a programme continually continues to demand a very high percentage of system resources over a prolonged period of time should you be worried.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

As an afterthought why don't you try another browser, Firefox or Chrome - reports of IE8 and IE9 warn of high CPU usage.

Like this post
Peants68

Likes # 0

Thankyou difarn. Very kind to reply so quickly. I get the message when I browse EBay products extensively. This fits with your comments. I now know not to worry about it.

Much appreciated.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Glad to help.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...